The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold | Teen Ink

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

In the novel, The Lovely Bones, Alice Sebold explores a story about a girl named Susie who was raped and murdered by her neighbor, George Harvey. Susie Salmon is a 14-year-old girl who can no longer experience the everyday things that people do. Jack Salmon, her father, tries to solve the murder of his daughter. The man that killed Susie, George Harvey, is a serial killer who murdered young girls.

Alice Sebold creates emotions that affect the reader. The emotions are created by the actions that are taking turns in the story ranging from Susie’s mother having an affair, to her father almost beaten to death. The Lovely Bones makes the readers sad, angry, happy, and thrilled.

One reason why the book is so great is because Alice Sebold shows context and how everything plays out; Her context of the story shows the rollercoaster that the Salmons’ go through when they lose their loved one. She creates the perfect novel in my opinion.

The Lovely Bones is a phenomenal book that tells a sad story. Susis says, “And they had never understood, as they did now, what the word horror meant” (45). In my opinion, other people should be able to feel the emotions that I got to feel while experiencing the novel.