The Fault in Our Stars by John Green | Teen Ink

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

By Felicity Kemp BRONZE, Moundsville, West Virginia
Felicity Kemp BRONZE, Moundsville, West Virginia

The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
I had heard many things about The Fault in Our Stars before I decided to read it. Everyone was saying what a good book it was, and how much they loved it, and how much they recommended it. So I decided to buy it. It may make you cry, so if you are an emotional person, grab your tissues. This novel portrays life, love, and tragedy. It is an all around good book.
The Fault in Our Stars is about a 16 year old girl, Hazel Grace Lancaster, a three-year stage IV–cancer survivor. At the beginning of the book, she is clinically depressed. To help her deal with this, her doctor sends her to a weekly support group where she meets Augustus Waters, a fellow cancer survivor, and the two fall in love. Hazel is fascinated with a novel about cancer called An Imperial Affliction. Mostly, she longs to know what happened to its characters after a terrible ending, where the author never finished the last sentence. To find out, Augustus uses his Make a Wish Foundation wish to make it possible for them to travel to Amsterdam, where An Imperial Affliction’s author, lives. What happens when they meet him must be left to readers to discover. Suffice it to say, it is significant.
Writing about kids with cancer is a touchy subject yet John Green successfully wrote about it. Happily, Green is able to transcend such pitfalls in his best and most ambitious novel to date. Beautifully conceived and executed, this story examines the largest possible considerations, life, love, and, sensitivity, intelligence, honesty, and integrity. In the process, Green shows his readers what it is like to live with cancer, sometimes no more than a breath or a heartbeat away from death. But it is life that Green spiritedly celebrates here, even while acknowledging its pain. In its every aspect, this novel is amazing.
All in all, If you enjoy young adult books, full of humor and heart breaking event, this book is perfect for you. Expect to laugh, smile, and cry throughout this book. Even if you don’t like these types of books, at least try it because you might like it. It proves that no matter what your situation is, you can still be in love: even if one of you is dying. I would strongly recommend this book to anyone, especially teenage girls. Expect many twist, turns, and surprises. You will feel many emotions throughout the book and it is well rounded. I really loved this book and it was definitely a good decision reading it.