Ready Player One by Ernest Cline | Teen Ink

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline MAG

By Lanimal SILVER, Thornton, Colorado
Lanimal SILVER, Thornton, Colorado

"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."
-Edmund Hillary

Imagine a world devastated by lack of resources and a failed economy. A world built for the rich, a prison for the poor. Imagine a world with a chance to escape to unreality, to hope, to comfort – a chance to escape to a virtual utopia. This is Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

Wade Watts seeks refuge from his unfortunate reality by diving into the incredible realm of OASIS, an online simulation game created by the infamous James Halliday. When Halliday died, he left his entire fortune to the first person who could solve the mysterious puzzle he integrated into OASIS.

Wade, along with almost everyone else in the world, frantically embarks upon the journey within the game, known as the Hunt. But all is not fun and games. Wade runs into obstacles at every turn, from simple competition to fatal threats. Who will find all three keys hidden in OASIS and collect Halliday's fortune?

When my teacher casually recommended Ready Player One, I shrugged indifferently and tossed the book into my backpack, where it gathered dust next to my math textbook. One day, bored of YouTube videos and desperate for anything to aid me in my procrastination against the dangerously high mountain of homework on my desk, I pulled out the novel.

I entered a world I never imagined. Clinging to every word Cline skillfully crafted, I read chapter after chapter in desperate anticipation. The book allowed me to escape from reality and put my imagination to the test.

Ready Player One is an OASIS of its own, with all the characteristics of a fantastic novel: action, adventure, friendship, romance, mystery, and more. I encourage anyone to dive into this book's amazing world.