Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell | Teen Ink

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

By Lanimal SILVER, Thornton, Colorado
Lanimal SILVER, Thornton, Colorado

"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."
-Edmund Hillary

A spark of interest ignited within me the moment I opened “Fangirl.” I carefully read the inside cover of the novel, and my attraction skyrocketed as my eyes latched onto one word.

Twins. “Fangirl,” by Rainbow Rowell, was about twins.

Funny, really, because I’m a twin - and the novel definitely deserves a twin’s perspective.

From the first word, “Fangirl” snatched my attention and encompassed my mind. I finished the book in two days, rushing through meals and homework to fly up to my bedroom and continue flipping the pages.

“Fangirl” follows the lives of Cath and Wren, twins who share extraordinarily similar looks, but personalities as contrasting as salt and pepper. The novel highlights their journey through their first year of college from Cath’s point of view. These twins overcome obstacles and learn how to truly find themselves.

Two things put the curve in my smile when considering this novel.

First of all, “Fangirl” effectively demonstrates how it feels to be a twin. This is an incredible accomplishment, because if there’s one thing I find hard to put into words, it’s my twin relationship. From hairstyles to boyfriends, Rainbow Rowell clearly acknowledges the pros and cons to twinship.

Secondly, “Fangirl” not only demonstrates the twin relationship, but, specifically, my twin relationship.

Cath, an introvert who wears glasses and devotes most of her time to writing, plans to major in english. Wren still loves to write, but is a business major and quite an extravert. While Cath remains perfectly content in her relationship with her sister, Wren struggles to find independence from her twin. Their birthstone is an emerald.

My twin, an introvert who wears glasses and devotes most of her time to writing, plans to major in english. I still love to write, but am a wannabe business major and quite an extravert. While my twin remains perfectly content in her relationship with me, I struggle to find independence from my twin. Our birthstone is an emerald.

Ironic, yes?

You might not be the real-life version of Wren or Cath, but I’m positive you’ll enjoy and relate to “Fangirl” just as strongly as I did.

Jonez.7 BRONZE said...
Jonez.7 BRONZE, Iowa City, Iowa

"Don't hate you don't want to put that out in the universe."
-Phoebe Buffay

I loved Fangirl also!!!!!!