The Fault In our Stars by John Green | Teen Ink

The Fault In our Stars by John Green

By AlyssaNease BRONZE, King George, Virginia
AlyssaNease BRONZE, King George, Virginia

The novel by the inspiring John Green The fault in our Stars was published in January of 2012. John states that the title of this now famous novel was not his idea, “It was all Shakespeare, the title is inspired by a famous line from the play Julius Caesar, 'The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings.'" This novel is narrated by a 16 year old Hazel Grace Lancaster who is forced by her parents to join a support group for children who battle cancer. Isaac, a close friend, also attends the support group with her. One day Isaac brings his friend Augustus Waters to the support group session. After support group ends, Augustus and Hazel talk for some time, during which Augustus recommends a movie. Hazel says that she will check the movie out. Augustus then suggests that she come with him and watch it at his house instead. After some talking, she agrees and tells her mom, who had been waiting for Hazel to make friends, that she will be going to Augustus' house to hang out with her new friend. This is how the book gets kicked off, it is truly inspiring and there's moments that will bring you to tears. I recommend this book to everyone that has ever read. Its heartwarming and tear jerking at the same time. It really opens up your eyes to how hard it is for ordinary people to survive their every day life. Hazel grace is 16 year old cancer patient who was diagnosed with Stage 4 Thyroid cancer with metastasis forming in her lungs when she was 13, but has managed to live with her disease thanks to doses of an experimental drug called Phalanxifor. Hazel finished high school early and is now working on a collage education.

Isaac, one of hazels support group friends, lost one of his eyes to cancer at young age, recently found out he will lose his other eye in the battle with cancer, which will permantly make him blind. Isaac, who is friends with both August and Hazel, unknowingly pull them together in this novel.Augustus Waters, has also been in a battle with cancer, but managed to survive, with only the lose of his right leg from osteosarcoma. Prior to his leg lose he was the star basketball player for his high school, and a straight A student. After his leg was removed he accomplished a full recovery and stayed cancer free.

This novel is one of the most inspiring that I have ever read, or even heard of. It really touched me in a kind of way I can’t even explain. It was a heartwarming yet tear jerking book that will leave you speechless. They novel is kind of geared towards teens and adults, if you are of a younger age you would have difficulties understanding the text, in my opinion. This isn't some kind of crappy cancer novel, where they make it seem like cancer is some easy battle that you get threw in a breeze, while reading it you go threw the struggles with Hazel Grace and you feel all her pain and emotions. It left me in tears, but defiantly a must read for everyone at some point!