The Fault in Our Stars by John Green | Teen Ink

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

November 22, 2013
By Anonymous

The Fault in Our Stars:


John Green was born on August 24, 1977. His first book, Looking for Alaska, was written in 2005. Flash forward to January of 2012 and his fifth book, The Fault in Our Stars, was published. He got inspiration for some of the lines and ideas from a different book, the Sequel. The genre of the Fault in Our Stars is young adult literature. For this particular book, I think adolescence was mainly targeted to please, but many adults liked it also.
The main character, Hazel Grace Lancaster, is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient. She’s witty, funny, strong, and most of all, she is confident. Until of course, Augustus Waters, the gorgeous boy who showed up in the literal heart of Jesus for the support group Hazel, and various other cancer patients. He’s staring at her… just watching her as she moves to her seat two chairs away from his. Augustus is a cancer survivor. He also has an unhealthy obsession to try to make his mark on the world before he passes. Immediately, Hazel and Augustus have a love connection that an audience would eat alive. Ten points to John Green.
This book is not your regular cancer book. This book is riveting. It keeps you on your toes as well as the edge of your seat. It tugs at your heart strings and your inner emotions you didn’t even know existed. Green’s word choice fits perfectly in context. Very sophisticated, but not to the point where us teens are just questioning every single sentence. It’s amazing how he embraces his inner teen and makes the book so relatable, but still reminds you that hey, this is different… this is interesting. The book was very well written and put together. It wasn’t just all over the place, scrambling your mind to try to find out what he’s trying to accomplish… But is this book evil? It does pretty much smash your heart into a million pieces…
I highly suggest you to read the Fault in Our Stars. If you’re a sucker for love stories, especially comedic ones, then go pick up this book. I suggest ages 13-20 to read the book just because it’s more of a teen audience, but who am I to stop you from reading it. It’s pretty amazing no matter what your age is.
So in conclusion, go pick up this book, read it, and analyze what just happened because it will blow your mind. In my opinion, it was the best book I’ve ever read. I loved how well written the plot and subject was. I loved how it kept you interested in Hazel and Augustus’ relationship. I loved how it wasn’t a typical love story. It wasn’t at all predictable. It was new and exciting. I still love the book even after reading it at least 10 times.


Picture: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11870085-the-fault-in-our-stars