How to be a Person | Teen Ink

How to be a Person

November 22, 2013
By DirtyJ BRONZE, Waterford, Michigan
DirtyJ BRONZE, Waterford, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
you must be the change you wish to see in the world by ghandi


I read the book “How to be a Person” by Lindy West, Dan Savage, Chris Frizzelle, and Beth Clement. I think there was a lot of information that will help me over the next decade of my life. From my point of view the central message was to just be yourself while exploring life.

Most of the book is about problem solving , and thing that the average person comes across throughout their lifetime.The first portion is about college. It explains how to get along with classmates, how to make friends, and basics of college courses. I will use this after high school, or even during high school.

Alot of the next part is about services and issues that adults worry about. Mainly like manners, laundry,food, and politics. I wasn’t very interested in reading this, but I’m glad I did because these topics are starting to appear a lot more in my life lately. I found that it wasn’t forcing an opinion down my throat, it was giving me a new way of looking at it with maintaining my own opinion.

The rest is about people and work, basically the rest of your life after school. Society is full of people with similar needs and wants, so think of others, but stay different. In work, make sure you doing something you like, so your life isn’t miserable in and outside of work. These were the main ideas I gathered from this section. It was kind of brief because by the time old you should know what's going on.

I recommend this book to anyone, but mainly for young adults. I think it helps you understand yourself better. It will make you want to be more independent, just like it did to me. Everyone will encounter obstacles in their life, and this book will give you insight on how to handle them.