Like water for chocolates by Laura Esquivel | Teen Ink

Like water for chocolates by Laura Esquivel

October 25, 2013
By America Bejarano BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
America Bejarano BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Like water for chocolate’s author is Laura Esquivel. The type of book this is, is a romance and Magical Realism, but mostly very different book to usual ones that you would read. This book also has some recipes to the things Tita makes . The main characters of the book are Tita, Elena,Gertrudis, Pedro, y Rosaura. Tita is the main character of the whole story and the one that is the youngest daughter. Elena is Tita, Gertrudis, and Rosauras mother. Pedro is the guy that Tita is madly in love with but cannot be with him.

Laura Esquivel wrote the book with romance and magical realism because it is a topic that is not always found in books which makes it different. The fact that she sort of tries to show old traditions of the Mexican culture also makes it stand out because it tells a story about a young girl whose mother follows traditions. The book really changes the way people may look at hispanic traditions. The author tries to stay the specific topic of how Tita can get with Pedro. The book is written kind of like a journal that Tita is writing in, so it changes from Tita’s first person and changes towards the end to third person.

Like water for chocolates had many conflicts, but the main one was when Rosaura Titas sister marries Pedro. This causes major conflict because the mother was the one that made all of it happen, so Tita begins to hate her sister and her mother although it was not her sisters fault. After sometime Tita gives her sister some magical food that makes her sister very gassy and she does this because she thinks it will make Pedro leave Rosaura. Although most of the book has much conflict it all has a great ending. Its a book that will make you want to keep reading it to find out what will happen next it’s like Romeo and Juliet because they have to fight for the person they love.
This book is a must read if you are in to books like Romeo and Juliet or Romance books this gives you a very good description of what magic realism. Don’t think that just because the genre is romance you won’t like it, it gives you a little of everything romance, action, adventure, etc. This book may be the book for you.