Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie | Teen Ink

Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie

By alyssa akers BRONZE, Spokane Valley, Washington
alyssa akers BRONZE, Spokane Valley, Washington

In Sherman Alexie’s Reservation Blues, Alexie states the hardships due to poverty on the Spokane Indian Reservation that defines the lives of the characters. Coming from the reservation himself, Alexie is able to portray first hand experiences about reservation life. Throughout Reservation Blues the reader gains insight about life on a modern day Indian reservation through the characters experiences and actions.

Reservation Blues depicts the poverty of Indian life, which challenges Indians on day-to-day basis. Limited jobs on the reservation are a major conflict that leads to starvation. The reader learns that Indians would rather sleep in their cars than their government provided HUD houses. Due to these situations the characters struggle to survive; their music is their only hope of success.

The book describes the major role music plays in traditional and modern day Indian lives. The characters develop a love for the devils music, which becomes their downfall. Because blues music is so frowned upon on the reservation the characters in band, Coyote Springs, receive a lot of hatred from their peers. Music takes them places they had never dreamed of, for better or worse.

Reservation Blues shows Indian tradition, the poverty they face, the importance of music, and the progressive challenges that modern day Indians face on the reservation. Alexie illustration of Indian life makes the reader feel like a part of the novel. However, his writing style can be hard to follow. Overall, we strongly recommend this book to anyone curious of hardships faced by modern day Indians.

coauthored by Sophia Karel