Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie | Teen Ink

Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie

October 9, 2013
By Rickster BRONZE, Spokane, Washington
Rickster BRONZE, Spokane, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The author of the book “Reservation Blues”, Sherman Alexie, is a Native American who grew up on the Indian reservation in Spokane and much of his works emphasizes his childhood in the reservation. The book, “Reservation Blues” is his first novel which is based on the reservation. The book starts when Robert Johnson shows up in the reservation one day with his magic guitar, trying to find someone that can save his soul. He leaves the guitar to Thomas, who decides to give it to another Indian, Victor, and invited Junior and Victor start a band named Coyote Springs. Later on in the story, they meet two Indian sisters, Chess and Checkers who join the band. As the story goes on, they get increasingly more famous and disliked by their reservation, which thinks that they are playing the music of the devil. In the end, Coyote Springs falls apart when they are declined by a big record company in New York. The reservation itself plays an significant role throughout the novel and Sherman uses contrasts and contradictions among those characters to express his ideas towards the reservation and native Americans. The book illustrates the meaning of being Indian. Betty and Veronica wanted to be Indians because they think that Indians are “living at peace with the earth”. While Chess think that one is an Indian only if he doesn’t want to be an Indian at some point of his life. This book has exciting plot and clear demonstration of the lives of contemporary Native American.