Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie | Teen Ink

Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie

October 9, 2013
By Adithya BRONZE, Spokane, Washington
Adithya BRONZE, Spokane, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Sherman Alexie’s Reservation Blues deals with a Spokane Indian rock band that faces oppression from white people throughout their journey. Having grown up as part of the Spokane Indian Tribe, Alexie is able to relate to the struggles that many of the Native American characters deal with through the whole novel. While the book takes place during the 1990’s and is based around a reservation, the main theme is associated with the history of Native Americans and their interaction with the U.S. government. The rock band “Coyote Springs” receives a taste of what it is like to be an out-cast. Coyote Springs is initially popular, but loses its supporters when two flathead Indians join the band. Along with this, when the band travels to Seattle to play a gig for the “Battle of the Bands” the Native Americans back on the reservation feel betrayed and fear that their own members have begun to adopt western culture.
Sherman Alexie successfully illustrates the conflict that Native Americans have with white society. Religion, for example, is a significant aspect of Indian society that appears to be brought into question. The clash between Christianity and the reservation religion creates internal conflict in many of the characters. Checkers (one of the flathead Indians) is pulled by her sister to stay more conservative, while Father Arnold (the priest on the reservation) pushes her to accept Christianity as a belief system. Another symbol that Alexie uses to express the opposing history between Native American and white society is the screaming horses. Whenever there is a direct contrast or conflict between the two sides, the author brings up screaming horses. Horses are an essential part of the Native American culture and when they scream, it can be interpreted as a threat to Native American ideals because they are losing a part of their central beliefs. By the end of the story the reader is clearly informed of the past events that have surrounded the reservation and how the reservation is associated with the Native American culture as a whole.
Reservation Blues is an interesting novel that casts a positive light on how Native Americans can still hold on to their culture and be successful in a predominantly white society. Although the book is a quick read, there are many important events and themes that can be discovered when one reads between the lines. There is strong character development throughout the book and by the end of the story, the reader feels deeply connected to the future of their lives and the reservation itself. Readers will certainly appreciate this novel because it is not only informative about the issues of clashing cultures, but it also proves to be a captivating and extraordinary page turner.