Looking for Alaska by John Green | Teen Ink

Looking for Alaska by John Green

By kamrynn carney BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
kamrynn carney BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia

The book “Looking for Alaska” is by John Green. “Looking for Alaska” won the Michael Printz award for excellence in young literature. Green has also written the novels, “An Abundance of Katherines”(also Printz award winner), “The Fault in our Stars”, and “Paper towns”. He co-wrote “Will Grayson, Will Grayson” and “let it snow”. Aside from writing novel, Green is also one half of the infamous YouTube channel Vlogbrothers. John’s brother Hank, is of course the second half. They currently have over 1.1 million subscribers. On his channel him and his brother talk with intelligence and witty, this is also how John writes.

“Looking for Alaska” is a fictional book that takes place at an imaginary boarding school in Alabama named Culver Creek. Miles Halters (nicknamed “Pudge”) has had a boring life but when he decides to go to Culver Creek to find his “Great Perhaps”, he realizes it may just be in the form of a gorgeous, clever, destructive, and utterly fascinating girl named Alaska Young. His roommate Chip introduces Pudge to Alaska when they all are smoking and Alaska says “you guys smoke to enjoy it, I smoke to die.” In the one hundred thirty-six days before the incident Pudge spends his time getting to know Alaska but most importantly falling in love with Alaska. She shows Pudge how to have fun and reminds him about her boyfriend Jake as much as she can. Pudge suspects something mysterious about Alaska, maybe she isn’t as happy as she seems.

It was one day before the incident and Pudge, Colonel (chip) , and Alaska were celebrating their successful “Barn Night prank” in Alaska’s room. Pudge didn’t feel like drinking so he just nibbled on pretzels. Alaska and Colonel however drank all night with their wine and their Dixie cups. “It’s an old-time southern drinking contest, we’s a-gonna treat Pudge to an evening of real southern livin’; we go’n match eachother Dixie cup for Dixie cup till the lesser drinker falls”. They only got up to turn off the lights so the dean wouldn’t be suspicious. Then Alaska suggested truth or dare ans somehow minutes later Alaska was kissing Pudge. It was what pudge had always wanted, and as soon as it happened, it was over. Then they all went to sleep, just like that. The Colonel (chip) and Pudge woke up to door slamming. It was Alaska and she was sobbing, a lot. “I have to get out of here” she said. Pudge has no idea what is going on. They weren’t helping her and she was getting angry “I just have to go. Help me get out of here!” The Colonel and Pudge were persuaded with guilt and at the same time said “okay.” Was this the right choice? Where was she going? Would anything ever be the same?

“Looking for Alaska is about finding your “Great Perhaps”. What I mean by that is this book is about some teenagers who are trying to find themselves and make sense of the world. They are trying to cope with the grief, love and regret. That’s the thing though, all you can ever really do is try and hope everything turns out okay. The theme of this book revolves very much around one question. “How will I ever get out of this labyrinth of suffering?– Alaska young” After reading this book you will have to come up with your own answer to this question, mine would be what I said earlier that you can just try and hope that you make it out.

John Green’s novel “Looking for Alaska” tells about real emotions. It may be fiction but it is very relatable. It makes you feel a part of a great story. You get attached to the characters. His writing style is smart, quirky and a bit humorous. He captures your mind and takes it to new levels. This book is a must have and you wont regret reading it.