The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkin | Teen Ink

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkin

The first book that introduced the vast world of Middle Earth, the “Hobbit” is a classic fantasy that defined its genre. When the book was published in 1937 by J.R.R. Tolkin it was not a success. The novel spend years in the back of book shelves until 17 years later “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy was published. This too was not an instant success. Yet today this book is a popular fantasy classic that is beloved by all weather by book or by movie.

It begins in a hobbit house under a hill, where Bilbo Baggins is peacefully sitting on his porch when a wizard stops by. The wizard Gandalf tells him the next day he will be receiving company. The next day 13 dwarfs knock on his door and tell him of a great adventure. They are dwarfs from a mountain in the far reaches of Middle Earth but they have been run out by a terrible dragon names “Smauge” they mean to go back to their mountain and reclaim their land and gold. However they are in need of a burglar and a hobbit would be perfect. Hobbits are small, and light footed, the only problem is that they are not wondrous folk. They like their privacy and they don't care about the distant problems of others. Still somehow, Bilbo joins the Dwarfs. The story takes you though forests and mountains. You meet goblins and elves. The most loved part of this book, is watching the change in character that Bilbo goes though and the challenges he faces.

This book is not just a good book, but one I enjoy reading over and over. It is timeless and vast. The imagination put into the story is outstanding. This story along with all the stories of Middle Earth really show the care and love the author put in to them. The story is short enough to keep your attention and full of events that keep your eyes glued to each page. The Hobbit is not an epic tale, it is a simple adventure of a curious Hobbit.