Janes in Love by Cecil Castellucci | Teen Ink

Janes in Love by Cecil Castellucci

By Confused_scheherazade ELITE, Brooklyn, New York, New York
Confused_scheherazade ELITE, Brooklyn, New York, New York

I know nothing, but of miracles.

“It’s a brand new year. That means Valentine’s Day is coming up. It’s like everyone turns into love zombies.”

The Janes are back and fabulous in the continuation of the inventive P.L.A.I.N Janes series, and now along with dealing with the ordeals of their art gang and school, now have to deal with tribulations of friends/loves and finding a date for the Ides of March (Read the book to understand.) The leader and creator, Jane Doe, is dreaming of making People Loving Art in Neighborhoods ripple beyond her small, yet significant pond in a urban Metro art grant, and dreaming after her more than a crush-friend. But as any great work about females does, does not mindlessly focuses on the conquest of love, as Jane still deals with the terrifying repercussions of the attack that changed her life, and struggling to be in a home choked by fear. Yet, Jane relearns that “Without art, the crudeness of reality would make the world unbearable”(thank you for summing it up so elegantly, George Bernard Shaw) and relearns to trust the faith she has in her Janes, her art, and herself. JANES come back as the first budding of hope in cold winter and budding of hearts (broken and healing) in a combined literary and aesthetic “love letter” to readers and art-lovers anywhere.