As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner | Teen Ink

As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner

May 15, 2013
By ShelbyCarlson SILVER, West Melbourne, Florida
ShelbyCarlson SILVER, West Melbourne, Florida
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

William Faulkner was born on September 25, 1897 in New Albany, Mississippi. Faulkner is known as one of the best writers of the twentieth century. He came from an old southern family and grew up in Oxford, Mississippi where he worked on his novels and short stories on his farm.

Faulkner wrote his first book, titled The Marble Faun in 1924 which was just a collection of poems. Faulkner created his own little town in the south which he called Yoknapatawpha County which he frequently wrote about in Sanctuary (1931), The Hamlet (1940), The Town (1957, and The Mansion (1959). Their theme is the decay of the old South and the emergence of the Snopes.

In 1949, Faulkner was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his new technique of fiction writing and was still gaining recognition for it. Faulkner was always being offered traveling invitations to foreign countries about his writing and he died of a fatal heart attack in 1962 shortly after receiving National Institute’s Gold Medal for Fiction.

?


Historical Backround

Yoknapatawpha County was actually based off of Lafayette County, Mississippi. It was one of multiple counties that was formed in the 1830’s after the Chickasaw people were forced to leave and move onto Indian Territory. Three centuries after Lafayette County was founded, the Chickasaws left and many new people moved in from the East like poor whites and slaves. They came in hopes of building a slave town and having bridges and railroads and social order. The citizens in Lafayette County started a revolution in hopes for independence but instead they destroyed slavery.

After the Civil War, the county became a region full of poverty, sickness and illiteracy. Lafayette County now represents the Deep Souths social diversity. It had gone from being a prosperous city full of trees and animals to being destitute and dead.

?




Characters

Throughout the novel, there is fifty-nine chapters in which different narrators speak. Although Addie has passed away, she is a very important character. Addie is really only voiced through memories and her short section. Addie is significant because the whole plot is based around her when she’s alive and dead. Addie is able to marry and have four children with a man whom she does not love. Addie does not see the point in love and motherhood or even life because her father said “The reason for living (is) to get ready to stay dead a long time.” The only joy in her life is her son Jewel who she conceived while having an affair with Whitfield. Addie’s death causes many stuggles to occur and puts another dent in the family.

Darl was the most helpful character from the beginning and we got the most information from him. Darl did not fully trust his families intentions in the effort to bury Addie and he attempted to burn Addie’s body in Gillespie’s barn but, unfortunately for him, he did not succeed. Also, many people thought Darl was strange and untrustworthy which is ironic because he knew many things, like he knew when his mother had died even when he was out of town and that Dewey Dell was pregnant. When the Bundren’s were threatened with being sued, they took the option of sending Darl to a sane asylum instead to avoid the problem and perhaps keep their secrets with him.

Another important character in the book was Cash. Even though he broke his leg and may never be able to walk again, he remained calm and selfless. This allowed us to see the real point of the book which was to bury Addie where she wished. Cash did not say much at first but finished the book as probably the most stable character.


Symbols

Shortly after Addie dies, the Bundren’s focus on animals resembling their mother. Vardaman is sure his mother is the fish he caught and cleaned, (Faulkner 66). Darl insists that Jewel’s mother is a horse, (Faulkner 94). Dewey Dell says that the cow the family has is a pregnant women. The characters use animals to represent their own situations and to possibly cope with her death.

Tools have also become an important symbol in the book representing the way the Bundren’s have been living. When Cash’s tools were scattered in the river, not only Cash but the whole family tried to find them. “They can’t be that far away, it all went together,”(Faulkner,157). A small section mentioned Anse’s tools for the farm but proves to be important when he trades them for money along with Jewels horse. Anse risked selling everything he needed to survive in order to finish the burial.

Another important symbol was Addie’s coffin. The coffin was a huge burden with the Bundren’s. Cash had to make sure the coffin was perfect for his mother but she was placed in the coffin upside down and even had holes drilled in to her face in hopes to help her “breathe.” It took them over eight days to get her buried after a lot of stuggle. Darl was just about over the whole situation so he tried to burn the coffin in the barn but was unsuccessful. Once the coffin is finally buried, the family expects to try to return back to their “normal.”

It was noticeable that they talk about Addie’s eyes quite a bit, proving to be an important symbol. For example, Cora says her eyes look like "two candles when you watch them gutter down into the sockets of iron candlesticks." (Faulkner 45). Also, Anse notices Darls eyes and says "He’s got his eyes full of the land all the time,” (Faulker, 36).
Themes

There were many themes that were presented in this book, such as isolation. The characters are split into separate narrations. Darl is the most poetic and intuitive character and can share anything with us based on his intuition. Jewel does not really care for Darl because he knows the truth, making each sibling pretty much on their own in life.

Another theme that is presented is poverty. The Bundren’s are constantly depending on their neighbors for work and little side jobs. Also, because of how poor the family is, they have little time to be sad about Addie’s death because they have to continue on with their jobs.

Also, another theme present is duty. Cash is obligated to make his mothers casket perfect because he is a master carpenter. Also, the whole family is obligated to take Addie’s body to Jefferson to be buried. Also, Addie’s duty was to bear Anse’s children. Addie says herself “duty is a joyless but necessary part of life,” (Faulker, 174).

Finally, I noticed the common theme of everyone being very protective of their own thoughts and nobody knowing them. When Dewey Dell became pregnant, she was upset that Darl knew so she was the first to try to get him to go to the sane asylum. (Faulkner 226). Also, Vardaman says he saw Darl light the barn on fire but Dewey Dell warns him to keep his mouth shut, proving that the Bundren’s like to keep their thoughts to themselves.




Motifs



As I Lay Dying is written in a stream-of-consciousness monologue, meaning there is no main narrator and the thoughts of the characters are just kind of put together. This style of writing is sometimes difficult to interpret and understand. Instead of having the standard writing style, we were forced to try to put the pieces together on our own and discover what they actually mean, not what they literally say.

Also, another reoccurring theme I saw was the issue of social classes. The Bundren’s were very poor themselves and had little to nothing to offer to others. On their journey to bury Addie, they encountered many kind hosts who welcomed them and were willing to help, even though they were not necessarily rich themselves. But, Dewey Dell was taken advantage of when she tried to get her abortion, twice, possibly because of her social status and also the way she was dressed.

Another motif I saw was how the family dealt with the death of Addie. Cash dealt with her dying with making the coffin. “A good carpenter, Addie Bundren could not want a better one, a better box to lie in. It will give her confidence and comfort,” (Faulkner 5). Jewel, on the other hand was very angry and sometimes takes it out on the horse and would not be around anyone. “Jewel kicks him in the stomach; the horse arches his neck back: Jewel stikes him across the face with his fist…” (Faulkner, 13). Vardaman is very angry about her death and blames everyone, especially Peabody. “She never hurt him and he come and he kilt her.. He kilt her,” (Faulkner 63).