Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer | Teen Ink

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

May 2, 2013
By JeremyH BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
JeremyH BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer is a fantastic memoir of a man looking to find happiness in his own way. This story describes how a man, Chris McCandless, travels many miles seeking his own identity. Krakauer uses his own experiences in the wilderness to try to enter the mind of Chris, as many others have tried and failed. Into the Wild began as a news article for Outside magazine, but soon transformed and evolved into a book and then a film. There is no escape from reality for the reader in this story, as Krakauer gives precise details of the unforgiving lifestyle McCandless lived. There are many instances in the book that McCandless is faced with outrageous amounts of adversity, but he stayed positive and just kept going The literary artistry of Krakauer is not extremely high, and the message is still portrayed in an easy to understand way for readers of all ages. Krakauer, as a journalist, writes in a very clear and concise way for the reader to understand, making Into the Wild an easy read. Indirectly, this story addresses some important issues that are still faced in the world today. People are always looking for ways to be happy. McCandless found his way, and as opposed to just living a life he hated, he went out and did what he loved. So many people today are always trying to please others and never take the time to find their own happiness. All readers can take something away from this book. Into the Wild will always be a book for travelers of the wilderness, and travelers of the mind. Along his travels McCandless shares his happiness with the people he meets and works with, changing their own outlooks on life and leaving a mark on this world. This book is definitely an amazing and moving read for all types of readers and all ages. This book is especially recommended for those looking for a book with a strong reflection of reality. Krakauer gives great insight to a man that not many people can understand, as they have never lived a life close to his. There are instances in the book that show the raw and intense parts of life that can strike some readers in an off-putting way. As a reader, keep in mind that this book is non-fiction, and that everything that happens is real. There is not a happy ending, or one with a great deal of closure for the reader, so be ready for a very open-to-interpretation ending or explanation as to why everything happened the way it did. Overall, Into the Wild is a great read for anybody looking for a book that makes you think. It may seem like an adventure type on the outside, but when truly read, any person can get something out of this book.