Dead to You by Lisa McMann | Teen Ink

Dead to You by Lisa McMann

January 9, 2013
By ashleybrown BRONZE, Northglenn, Colorado
ashleybrown BRONZE, Northglenn, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dead to You is a suspense filled book that is suitable for both young ladies and gents’. The book is definitely not the average story line. Could you imagine being taken from your front porch at seven years of age, only to return to your family at sixteen, and not remember any of your childhood? That’s the unfortunate life of Ethan De Wilde. Ethan was taken by a woman, who kept him for a few years, then left him on his own. Since then, Ethan’s been living in shelters, in libraries, and on the streets.
Ethan had been using a computer in a library, when he found his family on a missing child’s profile. After reassuring himself the unrecognizable people he’d seen on his family were his family, he called CPS. A week later, Ethan was reunited with his family. Now, instead of being one of the best moments for Ethan, McMann (the author) created a tense atmosphere between Ethan and his brother Blake, who stared with suspicious eyes. This made the whole reunion awkward.
From that very moment, McMann takes us through an intense chain of events that occur one after another. Ethan hardly gets a break. There’s the news reporters, answering the same unbearable questions about the abduction, adjusting to the family and school, and there’s Blake. Because Ethan doesn’t remember his childhood, more or less have the same idea of the day he was abducted, as Blake does, Blake doesn’t think Ethan is the real Ethan.
McMann builds suspense between the boys, creating trouble in the De Wilde household. Is Ethan the real Ethan? Everyone else seems to think so, including Cami, who happens to be the other half of Ethan’s juicy, romantic love scandal. McMann’s Dead to You is a definite page-turner, with suspicions, love scandal, and drama, all wrapped up in one book. There’s even an ironic twist in the end, one that is definitely worth reading.