Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky | Teen Ink

Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky

By EduardoTG BRONZE, Sacramento, California
EduardoTG BRONZE, Sacramento, California

Do you Fear the Future? Metro 2033 is an action packed, post apocalyptic, suspenseful thriller! In the year 2013, there is a nuclear holocaust. Countries from around the world fire their nuclear missiles, turning the once beautiful surface of earth, into a nuclear wasteland. Did humans survive? Sure we did! In Moscow, Russia there is a metro system, other words an underground system of transportation, such as trains. This Metro system also serves a bigger, darker purpose. It is the worlds largest nuclear shelter. At the sounds of bombing sierens, thousands of Moscow residents flood the Metro, hoping to survive.
The book opens with Artyom a twenty year old man, whom is on a patrol in a station named VDNKh. “Who’s there? Artyom - go have a look!” After Artyom reluctantly stands up, he shouts into the darkness, “Stop! Password!” He could hear quick, staccato footsteps in the darkness.
It turns out that its just a dog, a pup, roaming around in the dark of the Metro. Artyom then accounts the horrific story of how he got to VDNKh. He recounts to his fellow patrol men a story that they have heard many times before, but it still interests them. Begovaya was the station where hes was living with as a child. A huge swarm of giant rats came from the deep of the metro, and ravaged the station, his mom handed him to a handful of men whom were leaving on a cart. They pumped and pumped as fast as they could, with the hoard purposing them. They passed through a station and then arrived at Polezhaevskaya. Lucky for them, this station still had a treasure of the past, a custom flame thrower. They let the flame thrower burn for over 15 minutes, after the inferno had been extinguished, the smell of dead rats and the sound of screeching were both lingering around.

Artyom is the protagonist of the story. He is very curious, quite intelligent, and also quite dangerous as an advisory. He begins a trek to the center of the metro, called Polis. Once there he was to ask for help, as more and more mutated creatures began to attack his station, VDNKh, which was the northernmost station in its line. If their defense failed, the creatures would soon be upon the entire Metro, and humanity may be extinct. He started his journey with a man named Zhenya. He then travelled with a natural, bold leader named Khan. He met many companions throughout his epic journey, but most died. Then he was sent to the surface, to try to find a book in the Great Library.
This was a dangerous and treacherous journey, but was also necessary.

If you love the Alien series, or other post-apocalyptic books, you will love reading Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky!