Great Expectations by Charles Dickens | Teen Ink

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

By Juhcub PLATINUM, Congers, New York
Juhcub PLATINUM, Congers, New York

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”

Dear Charles Dickens,

Mr. Dickens, your writing has flown through the air, entered my body, and forcefully, yet beautifully, pierced the inner chambers—the atria and the ventricles—of my strongly beating heart. Your words—strong, bold, eloquent, articulate, dynamic, vivacious, abounding—swell my mind, body and soul, causing my library of knowledge to overflow with the delicious goods of information; information on how to construct the deep thoughts and inner workings of the most brilliant characters, a skill I extracted from your greatness.
Especially through your composition of the trials and tribulations of a young man named Pip in Great Expectations, I was engulfed in the mind of said man. I could feel what he felt, think what the thought, and love what he loved—only an author (more so an artist) like yourself would have the audacity to compose such brilliance. The depth of your characters had inspired me beyond what the word “inspiration” can possibly connotate; and it had brought me to a higher level of writing—of art. Since my eyes have glued themselves to the pages of your novel, and since my hands have quaked while reading, everything I myself have composed has been nothing else but a vain hope that it could turn out as beautifully tailored as your compositions have been. The characters I have synthesized all contain a depth to them that far surpasses the average story of today’s times—and as a complete result of how well you yourself had portrayed the depths of your characters.
Yet another form of inspiration I have derived from your work Great Expectations, is the intricately woven plotlines you have so cleverly constructed. Never has a story of my own gone without a plot so perfectly thought out or so wonderfully manufactured, due to the memories gnawing at my mind of how brilliantly the plot of your novel came together as pristine and crisp as a scarlet bow placed atop a warm Christmas gift. I would like to take the time to greatly thank you for engraving within my mind the importance of planning out how each and every event shall occur, what will come about from said events, and how it all plays into the composition as one single entity.
Throughout your novel, there have been a multitude of occasions where a simple object meant something far greater than itself. For instance, the word “chains” was a reoccurring noun in your work, but beyond the naked eye, it could be seen as a symbol, or even—a motif. Your ability to work in a hidden meaning beyond a simple object has once again inspired me to do in my own writing. In one of my own very stories, a boy ventures out into the unknown abyss of nature, and the winds—so forceful in their efforts to drag him back to his residence—symbolize the ongoing war between nature and humanity. This luxurious and thought-provoking skill I have acquired was completely conceived through your talents portrayed in Great Expectations.
Last, but far from being the least if I do say so myself, is that your eloquent writing style has engraved a vivid desire in my mind to create such beautiful, literature, just as you have done. Your words, so carefully chosen, speak to your reader in ways I was blind to see until I turned each and every page of your novel. And now, when I place myself in the soft cushioning of the chair in front of my mahogany desk, I complacently remind myself to delicately choose the correct words that which I wish to include in my writing, to make it as luscious and delectable as the works you have brought to light. Ultimately, you have single-handedly inspired myself to compose works in a more sophisticated manner, than I have ever written.
You, Charles Dickens, a man of artistic talent, have inspired me. The depth and development of your characters has only made me ensure that my characters are not two-dimensional, and instead, they are unique and they make me proud to call them mine. The intricate and carefully thought out plot of Great Expectations has only provoked me to want to write more and more, mainly because I want to create fascinating page turners that really catch the reader, and continue to pull them in until the very end where they’re left wanting more. On a metaphorical level, your novel has so much going on “behind the scenes,” and it only emphasizes your brilliance, and it makes me think about what everything I’ve created in mu stories actually mean—something I think all writers need to be aware of. Lastly, the famous “Dickens style” has really inspired me to become a more sophisticated writer. I purposely wrote this letter, trying to imitate the way in which you wrote every piece. I did this so that I could put myself in your shoes, and see what it felt like to write like you. I can certainly say it was a challenge, because I was more aware of the words I selected. I myself have never loved what I’ve written, and I’ve always searched for some way to improve it. Great Expectations opened my eyes as to how I could become a better writer, because your writing inspired me to meet your standards—something I probably won’t achieve for quite some time—but I’m slowly getting there, and every piece I compose, I feel like I’m getting closer and closer to being where I want to be as a writer. Thank you, Mr. Dickens.

After reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, I was inspired to review his book, and at the same time, try to imitate his style of writing.