Unwind by Neal Shusterman | Teen Ink

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

By Ryan McGinnis BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Ryan McGinnis BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan

Unwind, Neal Shusterman
The book Unwind is a science fiction novel, by Neal Shusterman. It takes place in Akron Ohio and an airplane junkyard in Arizona, United States of America. The exact date is unknown, but I would estimate the story to take place about 10-20 years from today. The book is about three teenagers named Connor, Lev and Risa. They are fleeing a cruel system in which unwanted teenagers are dismembered so that their body parts can be used in organ transplants. It may also be noted that Connor and Risa (A girl) stay together for for almost the whole book, while Lev is separate from them for about half of the book. All of them, however must flee a police force, false allies and......... Read the book to find out!

Have you ever read a book that you couldn’t put down? One that you could read while someone was screaming in your ear? That’s Unwind for me. The third-person viewpoint makes you wonder if the characters live to tell the story and there are tantalizing cliffhangers after cliffhangers. At the climax, the story becomes nothing short of magnetic to even the nonreader. The whole book was rather dark, but not to the point of hopelessness and in the end, the darkness lifted. Overall, I think that Unwind deserves a round of applause. But you’ll need to read the book to find out what I mean there. I would recommend the book to anyone to boys or girls ages 12 to 14 years of age that can handle controversy and mild innuendo. I personally think that the book was well-written and I loved it!