Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson | Teen Ink

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

November 3, 2011
By JuJuBear BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
JuJuBear BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.


No, this isn’t just another Sarah Dessen book where a girl finds something out about herself, it’s a Morgan Matson book about a girl who finds something out about herself! In the book Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour by Morgan Matson, Amy a girl who is still struggling with herself after she gets in a car crash and kills her Dad, and Roger a college student, have a long car trip together. The two strangers must make it from California to Connecticut in five days. Although, when the two end up getting to know each other, a few detours are taken and an awkward five day trip turns into a two week adventure for the new friends.

For a two week period of life changing events all squashed up in a three hundred and forty-five page book, Morgan Matson did a great job of describing the landscape, and events that Amy and Roger experienced on their trip. Not only was the plot well written, but Matson also created very believable characters. The characters are almost real and you can relate to them while they journey through not only America, but also new emotions, and ideas. Up until the end, Matson did a great job of writing this book. The ending though, stopped abruptly and it left you hanging. So, I would have liked to see a more pronounced ending.

Overall, I think the book is a good choice for teenagers and young women to read. If you enjoy Sarah Dessen books, you will absolutely fall in love with Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour.



JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.