Wild Orchid by Cameron Dokey | Teen Ink

Wild Orchid by Cameron Dokey MAG

By LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon
LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon

For, I could not love thee, Dear, so much,
Loved I not honour more.
-- Richard Lovelace, quoted often by Baroness Emmuska Orczy in The Scarlet Pimpernel

I have loved the story of Mulan ever since I was a little girl and saw the Disney movie. Now, looking back, it was an extremely silly movie with really dumb songs, but I still remember it fondly. This book is nothing like the movie. It tells the story of a brave girl who only wants to be free, not the rebellious young woman with a bad attitude from the film.

Mulan was born an unusual child, the product of a marriage of true love when such a thing was rare. Her father, a great general, was away when her mother gave birth and died. He left his daughter to grow up alone, not even knowing her mother's name. It is no surprise that she grew up wild, learning much that a girl would not normally know, including how to read and write, ride a horse and shoot a bow. When her father comes home at last, they do not know what to make of each other. I don't want to spoil it, so I won't tell you any more.

Wild Orchid is written in an almost lyrical style that is rare in contemporary books and is oddly refreshing, as is the pure and simple romance of the story. I would definitely recommend this book to girls, but I read it aloud to my little brother who liked it too.

beautifulspirit PLATINUM, Alpharetta, Georgia

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Sounds like a beautiful story, not a fairy tale but something worth reading. 

--Eleanor Roosevelt