Rampant by Diana Peterfreund | Teen Ink

Rampant by Diana Peterfreund

By AddictedToWriting BRONZE, La Grande, Oregon
AddictedToWriting BRONZE, La Grande, Oregon

"Writer's Block is when your characters get fed up with all you put them through and go on strike." -- Anonomous
"A Writer is someone for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people."--Thomas Mann

Fantasy is an interesting subject. There are some mythical creatures that can go in YA books and not be cheesy: Vampires, werewolves, elves, even faeries. Others, like the unicorn, are more difficult.

In Rampant, Diana Peterfreund challenges tabboo, by basing the whole book on not just the existance of unicorns, but the existance of vicious, man-eating unicorns.

And amazingly, she succeeds.

Rampant follows the story of high-schooler, Astrid Llewelen, as she discovers that her mother's slightly scarring bedtime stories about man-eating unicorns are true. Before long, she is sent to train in Rome to be hunt the beasts. But the job is more complicated than either Astrid or her mother anticipated; as trusted advisories turn traitor, unlikely alliences must be formed.

Diana Peterfreund is a truly talented author who took a most unlikely and difficult topic and turned it into a beautiful and horrible masterpiece.

"Forget everything you knew about unicorns"--back of Rampant

Grr... "Llewelyn" not "Llewelen"