The Giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Giver by Lois Lowry MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 587 comments.


on Feb. 14 2017 at 1:19 pm
willowblaire SILVER, Alvord, Texas
7 articles 0 photos 9 comments
I'm reading the book in my reading class, and I really like it!

on Jan. 2 2017 at 8:23 pm
Travelergirl DIAMOND, Central, Utah
64 articles 5 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do not judge my story by the chapter you walked in on"- Unknown

I respect your opinion, but I think you didn't really think about the inside meaning of the book as a whole. The book is showing how we all need to find our futures for ourselves, and that we also need to have feelings and experience things. I personally think that it is a book everyone should read. I encourage you to read it again and just try to think of the whole theme of the book. On the other hand, your review was really good and you did a good job.

Attica SILVER said...
on Nov. 21 2016 at 9:48 am
Attica SILVER, Pittsfield, New Hampshire
8 articles 0 photos 1 comment
Although I respect your opinion, I think that you have misinterpreted the main point of this story. When you look at the ethics of the story and what the author is trying to do, you will get why she made it boring, to show how boring a world without differences would be. It is a very philosophical book and not recommended if you like romantic, action-packs, sparkly-vampire books. I believe that you could have improved this review by actually explaining why it didn't make sense and analyzing what you DID learn from it. Maybe then you can properly analyze the book without throwing it away because of its literary content rather than a misunderstood theme.

Brigid GOLD said...
on Nov. 7 2016 at 7:56 am
Brigid GOLD, White River Junction, Vermont
11 articles 4 photos 89 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde

I totally agree with you!! this book is great. Anyway, I thought you might want to know there are three sequels... 1) Gathering Blue, 2) Messenger, and 3) Son. they are all really good, but The Giver is still my favorite!

on Nov. 5 2016 at 12:31 pm
JohnnyAppleseed BRONZE, Midvale, Utah
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"when life gives you lemons, make lemonade"

If you hate it, please explain why it didn't make sense or how it was predictable. You seem to contradict yourself, saying it didn't make sense, then saying it was no better than what the average person could conceive.

leones0814 said...
on Nov. 2 2016 at 4:35 pm
I absolutely agree-this book is great and I think Lois Lowry is a fantastic author. @Bapalapa2, maybe if you read the other books that were in the series, you might find it more interesting. Each book plays a small but significant part in the bigger picture and everything fits together like the pieces of a puzzle.

Mysterious1 said...
on Oct. 12 2016 at 1:50 pm
Your right by the way this book had a twist at the end where he's sitting on the mountain with the baby

Ryan toder said...
on Oct. 12 2016 at 1:42 pm
@M501athletic your right the book was really good I think it had perfect suspense

on Jul. 16 2016 at 7:16 pm
Pookie16 BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
3 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't be an idiot." - Michael Scott, The Office

@mysteryone It's kind of an interesting question to think about: Do you think Jonas should have stayed? Would the community have been better off if he hadn't left? Yes, they wouldn't experience the "vibrancy of life [or] the depth of emotions" (I really liked how you worded that), but they would also never have to deal with prejudice, poverty, hatred, war, destruction, etc. Was it fair of the one person who knew there even was another way of life to make that decision for the rest of them?

on Jun. 16 2016 at 1:05 am
I think the book was simple so we could see woulnt have to navigate beneath the words to the message being given which in itself was simple -

on May. 27 2016 at 11:50 am
M501athletic GOLD, USA, Other
19 articles 22 photos 46 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is never too late to have a new dream- C.S. Lewis

I respect your opinion on this book, but honestly I loved it. I like the suspense and change of pace in the book. It was very fascinating and had a great plot. But thanks for your review, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

on May. 10 2016 at 9:37 pm
this was a terrible book.

on Apr. 29 2016 at 8:36 pm
ScarletCity PLATINUM, High Ridge, Missouri
40 articles 4 photos 68 comments

Favorite Quote:
Anything that can be done, can be undone. ~Scarlet City
http://eepurl.com/dcyZMn

Though I can see your opinion, and I disagree, I must point out that The Giver did bring up a few ideas about how the brain would change if everyone- and everything- were equal.

on Mar. 31 2016 at 4:04 pm
secretsdarkened BRONZE, Midvale, Utah
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment
It's so interesting to find someone who doesn't like this book! I loved The Giver, and everyone in my English class did, too. I love the ending especially-it leaves the outcome up to you.

on Mar. 5 2016 at 6:59 pm
Leanna_Banana BRONZE, Alto, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment
I can totally agree. I also found the book completely boring and mediocre.

on Feb. 2 2016 at 9:39 am
Yes me too, I loved the book, but I can see why you didn't like it.

99halle said...
on Jan. 12 2016 at 12:21 pm
99halle, Waterford, Other
0 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Reality is a nice place, but I wouldn't want to live there, " -Owl City

I don't agree with you're point of view but can understand why someone would hold it having different taste.

on Dec. 14 2015 at 3:53 pm
AnoushehArif BRONZE, Lahore, Other
3 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do you remember who you were, before the world told you who you should be?"

I agree, the ending wasn't really put off well.

on Dec. 14 2015 at 3:51 pm
AnoushehArif BRONZE, Lahore, Other
3 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do you remember who you were, before the world told you who you should be?"

Thanks for explaining what the 'sled' incident meant and portrayed, because honestly I didn't quite understand what significance it had. Perhaps I would get it now, if I re-read it. (I read the Giver in sixth grade).

on Dec. 14 2015 at 3:47 pm
AnoushehArif BRONZE, Lahore, Other
3 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do you remember who you were, before the world told you who you should be?"

The concept in The Giver was unique and interesting. It drew the reader into the story, but I feel the ending should have been more developed, even though there are sequels. Overall, I do recommend it to mature readers who can actually understand the hidden messages given in it. Perhaps people feel the story is boring because there isn't enough vivid or dramatic language used.