Airhead by Meg Cabot | Teen Ink

Airhead by Meg Cabot

By ELM522 DIAMOND, Selden, New York
ELM522 DIAMOND, Selden, New York

"All those other girls, well they're beautiful, but would they write a song for you?"-"Hey Stephen" by Taylor Swift

When Emerson Watts, commonly referred to as Em, reluctantly takes her fourteen year old sister, Frida, to the cherished new Stark Enterprises Megastore, Em received everything she coveted and everything she deplored altogether. Em is an average seventeen year old girl, except for two minor “flaws”: 1. She has an aversion to makeup and popular subjects that “The Walking Dead” (her popular peers) obsess over. 2. She loves playing role playing video games with her best (and only) friend, Christopher Maloney.

Meg Cabot really intrigues the reader with adventurous characters, description and vivid settings, and the so-uber-nearly-captivating plot. She begins the novel with quite a twist: Emerson gets struck with a plummeting flat-screen TV in an effort to save Frida’s life. The incident is, at first, not addressed, but after the brief “intermission” of Em gathering herself, she figures everything out.

Oddly enough, people have been calling her Nikki, but then, Lulu Collins, notorious for been Nikki Howard’s (a much envied, yet adored and admired supermodel) friend visits Emerson in the hospital and speaks to her as if they had known each other for a while. Because Em acts so naïve to what is occurring, Lulu gets the assistance of Brandon Stark, son of the owner of Stark Enterprises and said “on-again off-again” boyfriend of Nikki Howard. United, they kidnap Em, and she soon finds out a secret she hates to admit: Emerson Watts is no more.

Throughout the novel, new characters are added to stir up mayhem. Most of the plot is completely predictable, yet some parts were unbelievable enough to make me reread them. I would recommend this to anyone that is interested in fantasy/romance novels. Airhead will sure to leave readers speechless and anticipating the sequel!