Twilight by Stephenie Meyer | Teen Ink

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer MAG

May 30, 2008
By Anonymous

I was never in love with vampires until Twilight came out. I didn’t know it was possible, but Stephenie Meyer changed the stereotypical blood-sucking vampire into a beautiful god-like creature.

In Twilight, an average high school girl, Bella Swan, falls in love with one of the most beautiful boys at her new school, Edward, who happens to be a vampire. What does one call a stunning, mysterious vampire and his stunning, mysterious vampire family? I believe “The Cullens” would suffice.

The author’s style and characters will glue your hands to the book and your eyes to the page. In no time, the book is over. But don’t worry – there are three sequels: New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn.

Twilight is well written from Bella’s point of view. It feels as though a movie is playing in your head. If you don’t feel that way, have no fear, the actual movie comes out November 21.

Twilight is such a magnificent book that it was a New York Times bestseller. Who would have thought that the idea for such an astonishing book could come from a dream the author had?

The theme is love conquers all, even the supernatural. Nothing stands in the way of love for Edward and Bella. Or does it?

Meyer’s style of writing will have you wanting to believe that there are gorgeous vampires roaming our world and just hopefully there will be Edwards for all of the girls who have fallen in love with this fictional yet breathtaking character. Since the characters’ love is forbidden, it only makes it better. ­After all, forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 723 comments.


on Dec. 18 2011 at 4:14 pm
ADreamerDoesntHaveToBeABeliever, New City, Other
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments
I am a twilight fan but the whole vampires sparkle in the sun thing just seems so unreal to me.

Ella1 GOLD said...
on Dec. 17 2011 at 5:24 pm
Ella1 GOLD,
14 articles 7 photos 137 comments
Stephanie Meyers does have a great writing style

ALR107 said...
on Dec. 17 2011 at 8:48 am
ALR107, Boise, Idaho
0 articles 13 photos 28 comments
Haha!!! I agree! ;)

on Dec. 14 2011 at 5:06 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 5 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

That's one of my main problems with the series. I mean, as it says, it wasn't really Edward's fault he became one, but he is in no way God-like just because he has rock hard abs and reads minds.

I'm not a Christian follower but I believe in a God, and I sure hope he's not anything like Edward. 

I guess that's the only explanation for how Renesme got created though...  


on Dec. 14 2011 at 5:02 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 5 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

It's a best seller because Team Hormone is on the loose and Edward set it free.

But that's about it.


on Dec. 14 2011 at 5:00 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 5 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

Yeah, kind of like how Bella forgets to live after Edward leaves.

Dumbledore rules. Forget Edward. Team Dumbledore :) and Team Luna, and Team Gred and Forge.. Team Potterhead.


on Dec. 14 2011 at 4:47 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 5 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

Part 2

And you know what? I honestly can see how these two got together. If I were Edward and could read ever single person's individual thoughts 24-7, if I really stomached my distate, I'd probably marry Bella too. I have two theories why he can't hear her thoughts.

1. There's nothing going on in there.

 

2. She is thinking the same things he is/ "He's so beautiful", "He's so amazing", "His eyes are SOOO GOLD".

"The author's style and characters will gule your hands to the book" Only because she follows the most basic principles of plot. 1. Character(s) have a problem or desire something. 2. Character(s) attempts to solve the problem or achieve what they desire. 3. The solution or conclusion of the goal (win, lose, or an mix of the two). Other than that, it's only a simple story about a hormonal teenager filled with big words to make it appear smart.

"In no time, the book is over" That's because the font is pretty large and almost everyone can read it. That's one of the reasons most people read it; they can't appreciate big books.

It really didn't need sequels either. I can sum up the entire story in two sentences:

A lonely introverted girl meets an obsessive, controlling vampire boy who she mistakes for God, and they work to overcome a love that is not forbidden but just not possible. She gets attacked by other vampires but is determined to see this through, even if it means giving up all her friends and family, and giving her daughter to a pedophile werewolf who she kissed while she was engaged to her so-called "true love".

"feels like the movie is playing in your head" That's why Stephenie Meyer got so rich, because more than half of all teenagers can now fantasize that Edward, the undead-knight in shining Volvo, comes to save the day.

 

"The theme is love conquers all" I have to disagree with that, because the only person she loves during the story is Edward. She gives up her family and friends to be with just one person. She either she didn't love them at all or she doesn't value that type of love. That was probably what the theme was meant to be, but the story just doesn't emulate that kind of feeling. It's more like "Get a boyfriend no matter what the costs are".

I won't quote the last paragraph here, I'll just say something about it. I really hope all the Twilighters don't go out looking for Edwards. Because that will mean that all girls will become lifeless, boring, complainy people, and all guys will want to act like Edward so that they have even the slightest chance of getting a girl, and that they will go after girls who 1. Are pretty 2. Follow their every whim 3. Are weak and easy to control. Aren't we in an age now where women are supposed to be empowering themselves and not acting like little Mary Sues all the time? Sorry Bella, he may be protecting you, but I don't care how literally rock hard his abs are, he's not a God. He's just a gilded man.

 

I felt obligated to respond to this because I've gotten tired of Twilight. I have read all the books and at one point I probably had a similar opinion to yours, but that was when I was 11. I've thought about what I really thing about this series for a long time, and it's not as glamorous as so many teenage girls think. There are plenty of perfectly amazing natural fruits out there that aren't forbidden, and I think natural has the sweetest taste.

And if they're really happy, I see nothing wrong with that. I'm not going to try to stop relationships like these from happening if people can live happy lives in these circumstances. But for myself, my friends, and many other young women, this scenario would not work and is potentially dangerous. I am trying to view this from a realistic standpoint.


on Dec. 14 2011 at 4:46 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 5 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

Part 1

"...changed the stereotypical blood-sucking vampire into a beautiful god-like creature."

I can see how you can describe Edward as beautiful based on appearances... I guess. Extremely pale and hollow-eyed..

However, inside he is not as perfectly as his sparkly, glittery outside. Sorry but if he was his real age, everyone would think it was extremely creepy for a 100+ year old man to be going after a high-school age girl. He's manipulative (he thinks Jacob is dangerous, and so does everything in his power *which he has a lot of* to make sure that the love of his life can't see her best friend), he's controlling (he makes his vampire step sister kidnap her), and he lies (keeps Victoria's return to himself *and other things*). Sure, he's not one of the worst guys out there, but that doesn't mean we should idolize him. He never seems happy either, and when he does smile it's short lived. His only good qualities is that he doesn't cheat on his significant other (as far as we know, it is a first person story), he reads, and he pays attention to conversation.

"an average high school girl" I can't really agree that Bella is average. At least, I hope not. Meyer makes the leading female character weak, clumsy, and very introverted. It's the perfect formula for someone like Edward or Jacob to step into, though, who are both extremely muscular and so Bella won't even have to lift a finger thorugh out the entire book. About all she does is go to school and complain about a normal guy like Mike (what is SO WRONG with him??), go home, do some laundry, cook some mediocre food, wait for daddy to come home, and then cry herself to sleep. She has no hobbies except reading old romance novels like Romeo and Juliet (which based on my interpretation, she seems to believe it is realistic?). This teaches girls that as long as they're pretty (which Bella 'so skillfully' hides), they don't have to do anything except listen to their man and believe he is "flawless". How many times was Edward described that way? Not only is he Not flawless, but now girls will look for guys who appear to have no problems, and all the trully interesting, mysterious, meaningful people are overlooked. It also teaches them that if their man leaves it's like the world has ended. Don't get me wrong, everyone feels that way for a few days. I'm not underestimating it. But what she goes through lasts MONTHS. She abandons everything to her depression that she's not worth it even though she has a bunch of guys who have willingly stood by her and tried to make her feel better and are healthy for her.


on Dec. 6 2011 at 10:20 am
Bookwizard PLATINUM, Watertown, New York
38 articles 0 photos 53 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back it was always yours, if it doesn't it never was.

I agree with you about the book. Meyer made the book seem so real and when i was done I had to read the remaining.

on Dec. 2 2011 at 8:58 am
This book is so well thought of and so good I love u Stephenie Myers!!!!:)

on Nov. 30 2011 at 7:34 pm
Ice_Queen PLATINUM, Peoria, Arizona
49 articles 7 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
Love is anterior to life, posterior to death, initial of creation, and the exponent of breath.
-Emily Dickinson

Twilight? Oh good. My turn to tear up a book.

DiaaBabeyy said...
on Nov. 30 2011 at 4:22 pm
I liked the breaking dawn , It was good .. & Harry Potter movies are like FOREVER -.-

on Nov. 22 2011 at 3:21 pm
Akane-Ree BRONZE, New City, New York
1 article 0 photos 55 comments

Favorite Quote:
\"She\'s got it out for me BUT I WEAR THE BIGGEST SMILE"

I didn't really like the books or movies... the review was good though! i found the books not very well-written.

on Nov. 22 2011 at 12:42 pm
savetheplanet PLATINUM, Anaheim, California
45 articles 9 photos 564 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

I'm not a fan so much of the movies, they were pretty cheesy.  But I really like the books, this is a good review! :D

Jessbug SILVER said...
on Nov. 11 2011 at 9:54 am
Jessbug SILVER, Jersey City, New Jersey
9 articles 22 photos 52 comments

Favorite Quote:
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Sorry, I meant good*

Jessbug SILVER said...
on Nov. 11 2011 at 9:54 am
Jessbug SILVER, Jersey City, New Jersey
9 articles 22 photos 52 comments

Favorite Quote:
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Great review; it was very well-written. Personally, I don't much care for Twilight. I think that the underlying messages it sends are not good ones, but...different strokes for different folks, no? Overall, very goo review.

on Nov. 3 2011 at 4:09 am

I think that twilight is one of thee ,in my opnion, BEST BOOKS i have ever read so what if meyer wrote it because of a dream thats were she got her inspiration from and TWILIGHT is one of thee best selling and movies franchise ever ! STOP putting this novel down if you havent read it you dont know how good it is but if you read it and it isnt ur thing will plain and simple it just not UR THING and still even if u didnt like it what is the point of coming here and continuly BLABING  about how rubbish it was like get a life stop putting people down!!! yes every body has different opnions but post liek " 1OO" ( NOT LITERALLY) comments about how mucuh you hate twilight and like harry potter all the way down th page of comments like really Sort Out Ur Life and if you dont like twilight why in the world do YOU come and start reading a review about it ??? i just dont even understand people anymoore !! Why dont you go read a review about all the hary potter books like seriously sort out your problems !!!

GO TWILIGHT !!! 


on Oct. 31 2011 at 1:34 pm
CocoHorsager BRONZE, Ladera Ranch, California
1 article 1 photo 3 comments
I don't think Twilight is a good book just because of the messages it sends... i mean your review was really good, but it didn't change my mind about the book.

Naomi518 GOLD said...
on Oct. 30 2011 at 8:12 pm
Naomi518 GOLD, Windsor, Connecticut
11 articles 15 photos 59 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light" ~Albus Dumbledore

ooo I like you're unser name :D

on Oct. 29 2011 at 10:13 pm
TheHalfBloodPrincess BRONZE, Seria, Other
2 articles 0 photos 7 comments
And Stephanie Meyer said this whole idea came to her in a dream ;) Dumbledore is always right.