Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan | Teen Ink

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan

By Laurennnn PLATINUM, Sadieville, Kentucky
Laurennnn PLATINUM, Sadieville, Kentucky

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people merely exist, that is all." -Oscar Wilde

For the past two days, I’ve been absorbed in this fantastic book called Will Grayson, Will Grayson. I don’t believe a book has caught my attention like this one in ages. As soon as I read the first page, I was hooked. With a unique story line and characters everyone can connect to in one way or the other, this book will have readers singing of its greatness.

Will Grayson bumps into Will Grayson one night in Chicago. Even though they are drastically different from each other, their lives intertwine, and their stories become one.

The first Will Grayson we meet is a skeptical high school student who lives by two rules: shut up, and don’t care. To him, these rules mean not getting hurt. His best friend is a flamboyant, gay drama queen named Tiny. Tiny only wants Will to be happy, so he tries to set him up with his friend, Jane, who he knows through the GSA at their high school. This causes a chain reaction. Will it bite Tiny in the butt?

The second Will Grayson we meet is a closet gay with an internet boyfriend named Isaac. Isaac and Will talk every night, and Will thinks he’s in love. When Isaac and Tiny decide to finally meet in Chicago, Will is so excited and so nervous, but how will this turn out? Is Isaac really the guy Will thinks he is? Or is he a fake? Is going to Chicago really a good idea?

As this story plays out, it becomes a comedic romance with so many twists and turns, you’ll want to keep reading well into the night. Author’s John Green (Paper Towns, An Abundance of Katherines, Looking for Alaska) and David Levithan (Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist, Love is the Higher Law, Naomi and Ely’s no Kiss List, Boy Meets Boy) team up to tell a brilliant story about finding yourself, coming to terms with who you find, and finding love. This novel captures what it’s like to be a teenager confused about where to go next, confused about your feelings. It captures the way you feel when you know who you are, but you don’t want to accept it and the way you feel when you look in the mirror and don’t like who’s looking back at you. Will Grayson, Will Grayson is a must read for all teenagers, gay or straight, girl or boy, hiding from yourself or flaunting who you are. We can all learn something from the two Will Graysons and their stories.