Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin | Teen Ink

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin

January 19, 2010
By darkpinkmolly GOLD, Oakland, California
darkpinkmolly GOLD, Oakland, California
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I write for the same reason I breathe - because if I didn't, I would die. " -Isaac Asimov


Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin tells a remarkable story made even more astonishing because it is true. In the early 90’s Greg Mortenson, after failing to climb K2, promised one village in Pakistan that he would build a school for them. The book recounts how he made his promise a reality, single-handedly overcoming unbelievable obstacles in his way, and expanded his project to build more schools, especially schools for girls, all over Pakistan and Afghanistan. The story will inspire you because it shows the potential impact a single individual can have on the world, and it will make also open your mind to peaceful possibilities to solving the problems of poverty and terrorism in the Middle East. Above all, Mortenson stresses that education can empower people in Third World countries living in dire poverty, and it can prevent those same people from turning to extremist groups which foster terrorists. Not only is the information in this book vital to anyone who wants to understand the current war in Afghanistan, it is also well written. I would recommend to all people who are interested in America, the Middle East, and the welfare of people around the world.