Harvest for Hope by Jane Goodall | Teen Ink

Harvest for Hope by Jane Goodall

Jane Goodall does a fabulous job in Harvest for Hope revealing the horrors of the American food system. After reading it, I had trouble eating nonorganic cheese and drinking bottled water. I was absolutely disgusted to discover the wasteful, unsanitary, and inhumane activities that are going on across the United States. Some of the secrets exposed in Harvest for Hope are just downright disturbing.
One of the most upsetting topics discussed in Harvest for Hope are the ways in which animals raised for food are treated. Some pigs are thrown into boiling bins of water while still fully conscious. Male chickens are carelessly tossed into plastic bags to suffocate and die because they are considered to be useless for egg production. Cows are raised in stalls so small that they can't lie down or turn around.
Another widely discussed topic in Harvest for Hope is the wastefulness and unsanitary conditions of our drinking water. One study found that 1/5 of the bottled waters randomly sampled contained neurotoxins and carcinogens. Another study showed that 1/3 of 103 brands of bottled water contained traces of arsenic and E. coli. For most types of plastic water bottles, it actually takes more water to make them than the water that is actually put into it.
Jane Goodall goes into immense detail on interesting topics that the rest of the nation should be informed about. Harvest for Hope could change the way people look at food in America.