Skipping Christmas | Teen Ink

Skipping Christmas MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

Everwonder what the holidays would be like without Christmas? In Skipping Christmas,John Grisham takes a look at the much-celebrated day from a different perspectiveand tells the story of a couple who would rather do away with it just this once.

Luther and Nora Krank decide that Christmas is a burden. As anaccountant, Luther comes up with myriad reasons why the holiday is pointless andmerely a drain on their bank account. The money they spend on the holiday couldbe more effectively put to use were they to go on a cruise instead. With theirdaughter abroad, the couple sees this as a viable option and set out to takethemselves off everyone's Christmas list. However, it may not be as easy as theyhoped.

Grisham does not hesitate to poke fun at common troubles andinconveniences as the holidays approach. And the community's reaction to theKranks' decision reaches a comical level as they openly oppose the tossing asideof Christmas. Grisham goes so far as to create situations where the townspeopledefy all reason to keep the Kranks from skipping town. Skipping Christmas quicklybecomes a tale of the ramifications of a life without Christmas and how its rolein society is vital to the human heart.

Will the Kranks get to celebratetheir own kind of Christmas, or will they be forced by their friends andneighbors to rediscover the joy that Christmas brings? With Skipping Christmas,Grisham takes his writing up a level to create literary magic.

i love this !