It | Teen Ink

It MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

     This novel by Stephen King begins in 1957 after a great flood in the town of Derry, Maine when George Denbrough is killed ... no, murdered. And thus the seven heroes of this tale are thrust into a timeless and nameless horror. Six of the seven leave Derry and forget the terror until one day a reluctant Mike Hanlon, who stays behind in case it ever starts again, calls each of them to return. The horror of the story is beaten once when they were kids but “it” is back, and the reader is thrust into the adult end of the conflict.

In all honesty It doesn't live up to my expectations. I was expecting a horror/psychological thriller as only Stephen King can deliver, and was let down. This isn't to say that there aren't elements of horror that sent chills up my spine, but they are often lost in the all-too-descriptive writing. Quite frankly you could forget to be scared in the first 100 pages it takes King to get to a single point (which in itself only takes about a paragraph). It was on the verge of tedious for me.

Regardless, the story itself is a good idea. As usual, King has a group of “Chosen Ones” and everyone else is fair game, but this doesn't take away from the fact that the concept drowns in detail.

So, overall, I don't give this book very high marks, but I would at least recommend it to anyone who has seen the movie since the movie doesn't accurately depict the story.