Book review: The Perks of Being a Wallflower | Teen Ink

Book review: The Perks of Being a Wallflower

July 21, 2024
By Andrewhan11 PLATINUM, Jericho, New York
Andrewhan11 PLATINUM, Jericho, New York
35 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever had secrets that you wanted to tell someone, but you couldn’t because they were so personal? Well the main character of The Perks of Being a Wallflower Charlie’s life is filled with such secrets. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky is a coming-of-age novel that deeply relates with readers of all ages and backgrounds. Throughout the pages of the novel, the author explores the hardships of adolescence, mental health issues, friendship, love, and even the search for identity.

This piece is constructed in a unique way, made out of a series of individual letters from the protagonist Charlie to an anonymous “friend.” We learn who this “friend” is, and the “friend” never writes back. Each letter begins with the greeting “Dear friend” and ends “Love always, Charlie.” Therefore, the whole books reads more like a diary. It is super easy to read as it uses simple and casual language that close friends would use. Each letter is like a small new chapter that tells a new story. Although there so many places to stop and close the book until the next read, it is the captivating plot that stops readers from doing so. 

As Charlie steps into the doors of high school he has to deal with loneliness, trauma, and self-discovery. He is a typical teenager who is looking for life-long friends and love, not quite knowing himself or his future. A big part of Charlie’s life are his friendships with Patrick and Sam. Based on the title of the book, we know that Charlie is a “wallflower,” which is a person who doesn’t like to engage in conversations and events and would rather observe from the side. It is Sam and Patrick who first introduce him to a world of acceptance, love, and self-expression. Their bond helps Charlie to understand who he is and what he wants to do and enjoy. 

Stephen Chbosky successfully captures both highs and lows of teenage life, leaving a lasting impression on all readers. The Perks of Being a Wallflower reminded me of my first days of high school and how I was both urgently looking for friends, but also careful about the friends I chose. Reading this phenomenal novel, I at one point wished I also had a diary or a friend to whom I could just vent my emotions, feelings, trauma, and happiness just like Charlie did. The novel ends in a surprising and dramatic way with Charlie writing that he is planning to stop writing letters to the “friend” and to start participating fully in his life. As a reader, I was happy for Charlie on one hand, but also upset that the novel ended and I didn’t get to see his life anymore. 

Ultimately, The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a timeless classic that highlights the universal experiences of growing up and finding one's place in the world. It reminds the readers that while life may be filled with challenges, it's also full of beauty, joy, hope, and the promise of new beginnings.