A Tribute to Eddard Stark: A Man of Honor | Teen Ink

A Tribute to Eddard Stark: A Man of Honor

By lilyli3791 BRONZE, Hong Kong, Other
lilyli3791 BRONZE, Hong Kong, Other

Dracarys.

“Tell me, Jon, if the day should ever come when your lord father must needs choose between honor on the one hand and those he loves on the other, what would he do?”

“He would do whatever was right. No matter what.”

–Maester Aemon and Jon Snow, A Game of Thrones (1996)

After eight seasons of Game of Thrones and five books of A Song of Ice and Fire, Eddard Stark remains one of the most loved characters in the popular series. Although his death at the end of Season One was inarguably very shocking, it was his unwavering honor and nobility that left the deepest impression on me.

Unlike other rulers such as Tywin Lannister and Walder Frey, Ned Stark loved every single one of his children, even including his “bastard”, Jon Snow. When both Robert and Cersei asked him,

“You love your children, do you not?”

Ned’s answer was always the same:

“With all my heart.”

–Robert Baratheon, Cersei Lannister and Ned Stark, A Game of Thrones (1996)

Ned brought up his children teaching them valuable lessons, shaping their characters from a very young age.

“When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives.”

“The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.”

–Ned Stark, A Game of Thrones (1996)

These are just two of the many lessons Ned taught his children. After he is sentenced to a prison cell on false accounts of treason, we learn that he chooses to sacrifice his honor (and life) to protect his daughter, Sansa. It was his love for his children that led to them avenging his death, whether it was Robb who led battles against the Lannisters, or Arya who swore to kill Ser Ilyn Payne, Cersei Lannister and Joffrey Baratheon.

Compare their relationship to the dynamic in House Lannister, Tywin and his son Tyrion in particular. While Ned continued to love Bran even after he became a cripple, Tywin hated Tyrion solely due to his short stature, to the extent that he wanted him dead. He tried to kill Tyrion multiple times by putting him in the vanguard during the Battle of the Green Fork, and falsely accusing him of Joffrey’s murder.

“I'm guilty of being a dwarf. ... I've been on trial for that my entire life.”

–Tyrion Lannister, “The Laws of Gods and Men” (2014)

Tyrion’s anger and resentment towards Tywin motivated him to kill his father in A Storm of Swords - something that was probably relishing for some readers - which makes Ned Stark’s fatherly love stand out even more.
Similarly, even though their marriage was a political one, Ned respected his wife, Catelyn, very much. He never went to brothels, never sired bastards (keeping in mind that Jon Snow was his sister’s son), and only fathered Catelyn’s children.

This is in stark contrast to King Robert, who sired bastards across the Seven Kingdoms and was so consumed by the idea of Lyanna Stark that he barely acknowledged his wife, Cersei.

But Ned’s love and respect not only extended to his family, but also to his servants as well as the brothers of the Night’s Watch. After Jory Cassel and Ned’s other guards were slaughtered by Jaime Lannister in King’s Landing,

“Littlefinger and the City Watch found [Ned] there in the street, cradling Jory Cassel’s body in his arms.”

–A Game of Thrones (1996)

Ned then commanded that their bones be sent back to the North, out of complete respect for those who died for him. Similarly, as Robb said upon Tyrion’s arrival in Winterfell,

“Any man of the Night’s Watch is welcome here at Winterfell for as long as he wishes to stay.”

–Robb Stark, A Game of Thrones (1996)

The Starks treated the Night’s Watch well (unlike the other houses), which earned the Watch’s respect. As a result, Yoren helped Ned’s daughter Arya escape King’s Landing and kept her safe at his own expense, which he did until his final breath.

Ned’s conversation with the Kingslayer at King’s Landing further demonstrates his honorable character:

“Is that what you tell yourself at night? You're a servant of justice? That you were avenging my father when you shoved your sword in Aerys Targaryen's back? ... You served him well when serving was safe.”

–Ned Stark to Jaime Lannister, “Lord Snow” (2011)

Though we now understand why Jaime slew the Mad King, in Ned’s eyes he was but an oathbreaker who murdered the king he swore to protect - and oathbreakers did not earn respect from Lord Eddard Stark.

Moreover, when Sansa’s direwolf Lady was sentenced to die for crimes she did not commit, Ned insisted that,

“If it must be done, I will do it. ... She is of the north. She deserves better than a butcher.”

–Ned Stark to Cersei Lannister, A Game of Thrones (1996)

Ned recognizes Lady’s innocence in this situation, and his sense of responsibility makes him ensure that Lady's death is carried out with dignity and respect, rather than being left to someone less deserving. In contrast to the ruthless Lannisters, Ned views Lady as a noble creature rather than mere livestock (partially because the direwolf is the sigil of House Stark), and his decision to send her bones back to the North once again demonstrates his strong moral compass and principles of justice.

After Ned becomes Hand of the King, he gives away part of his household guard to men like Lords Janos Slynt and Beric Dondarrion (to sentence the Mountain for his crimes). Though some would argue this was a foolish decision, it was definitely moral and righteous. Many would not have dared to sentence the Mountain for crimes he committed on smallfolk, for he was under the command of Lord Tywin Lannister. However, Ned tried to assist the smallfolk and bring the Mountain to justice, whilst also helping Slynt, who ironically betrayed him in the end.

When Robert wanted to kill Daenerys Targaryen for fear that her son would threaten his rule, Ned said quietly,

“You'll dishonor yourself forever if you do this. ... The Robert I grew up with didn't tremble at the shadow of an unborn child.”

–Ned Stark, “The Wolf and the Lion” (2011)

Ned believed it was an absolute crime to murder the innocent, and even resigned as Hand after this argument with Robert. Thinking that it was immoral and dishonorable, Ned refused to participate in this merciless act.

Towards the end of the book, Cersei asks Ned,

“You should have taken the realm for yourself. It was there for the taking. Jaime told me how you found him on the Iron Throne the day King’s Landing fell, and made him yield it up. That was your moment. All you needed to do was climb those steps, and sit. Such a sad mistake.”

“I have made more mistakes than you can possibly imagine,” Ned said, “but that was not one of them.”

–Cersei Lannister and Ned Stark, A Game of Thrones (1996)

Even in his youth, power was not something that could tempt Lord Eddard Stark. His sense of honor and loyalty to Robert stopped him from taking the throne for himself, which (I believe) was something a lot of lesser men would have done without hesitation (looking at you, Lord Baelish).

Finding out that Robert’s children were products of incest between Cersei and Jaime Lannister was a significant plot twist in the book. Ned was faced with a range of choices, and his final decision was the one that directly led to his death. Referencing Cersei’s iconic quote in A Game of Thrones:

“When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground.”

–Cersei Lannister, A Game of Thrones (1996)

Sparknotes gives a nice summary of Ned’s somewhat foolish yet honorable decision:

“He does not play to win, and the result is that he loses. The consequence for Ned is death.”

–Sparknotes (2005)

Ned chose to warn Cersei of his plans to reveal the truth to Robert. He knew that if Robert found out, Jaime, Cersei and their children would have to die - and once again the innocent children would have to answer for the crimes of their parents. Driven by mercy, he urged Cersei to flee with her bastard children, in an attempt to prevent history from repeating itself. Remember that time when Rhaegar Targaryen’s children (mere infants, in fact) were brutally slaughtered by Lord Tywin and the Mountain? Though Ned tried his best to save innocent lives, ironically, it was Joffrey Baratheon who ordered his execution in the end.

However, Ned’s plans did not turn out well. Unbeknownst to him, his mercy gave Cersei another chance to assassinate Robert, and she succeeded because Ned did not strike quickly enough. During Ned’s detainment in King’s Landing, Lord Varys tells him (to his shame):

“It was not wine that killed the king. It was your mercy.”

–Varys to Ned Stark, A Game of Thrones (1996)

Though Ned was always well-intentioned, his indecision led to the deaths of those around him, something he would regret until the last moments of his life.

In addition, before Robert succumbed to his wounds, Lord Renly Baratheon offered to help Ned:

“Give me an hour, and I can put a hundred swords in your hand. ... Strike! Now, while the castle sleeps. We must get Joffrey away from his mother and take him in hand.”

Ned regarded him coldly. “I will not dishonor [Robert’s] last hours on earth by shedding blood in his halls and dragging frightened children from their beds.”

–Renly Baratheon and Ned Stark, A Game of Thrones (1996)

Ned was faced with a chance to gain control of King’s Landing - and yet he turned it down because of honor. He would not wage war in the city at the cost of disturbing Robert, his good friend, in his passing. He would not crown a false king (i.e. Renly) even for his own personal gain. From the moment he found out about the incest between Cersei and Jaime, Ned maintained that Stannis Baratheon was the rightful heir to the Iron Throne, during a time when no other man in King’s Landing dared speak against King Joffrey. Ultimately, this was the decision that earned him the title of traitor, and eventually cost him his life.

However, when he finally saw Robert on his deathbed, Ned decided not to reveal the truth about Joffrey’s birth. He let Robert die peacefully out of love for his good friend, which was an honorable and noble decision.

To add on, while Ned was detained in the dungeons of King’s Landing, Varys urged him to confess his crimes. In response, Ned said:

“You think my life is some precious thing to me? That I would trade my honor for a few more years... of what? You grew up with actors. You learned their craft and you learnt it well. But I grew up with soldiers. I learned to die a long time ago.”

–Ned Stark to Varys, “Baelor” (2011)

Ned’s honor was worth more to him than his life. He would rather die with honor than live as a confessed traitor - for crimes he did not commit. However, when Varys mentions (or perhaps, threatens) his daughter Sansa, Ned immediately begs for mercy:

A chill pierced Ned’s heart. ... “No,” Ned pleaded, his voice cracking. “Varys, gods have mercy, do as you like with me, but leave my daughter out of your schemes. Sansa’s no more than a child.”

–Ned Stark to Varys, A Game of Thrones (1996)

Here Varys offers Ned a difficult choice: either confess treason and save Sansa’s life, or keep his honor and let her die. Nonetheless, nothing mattered more to Ned than his children. Faced with a difficult decision between love and honor, Ned eventually chose to “sacrifice the honor that defined him to save his daughter’s life.” (Sparknotes, 2005)

This perfectly mirrors Maester Aemon’s words in A Game of Thrones:

“Love is the bane of honor, the death of duty. ... Yet soon or late in every man’s life comes a day when he must choose. ... It hurts, boy. Oh, yes. Choosing . . . it has always hurt. And always will. I know.”

–Maester Aemon to Jon Snow, A Game of Thrones (1996)

In Ned’s case, he chose love. He couldn’t bear to let the innocent Sansa die for his cause, and he paid the price of this decision with his life and honor. “During his final moments in his cell, Ned seemed to have realised that there was little virtue in fulfilling his duty to an unethical leader, and thus he made a false confession to save Sansa.” (Sparknotes, 2005)

For me, Ned’s confession on the steps of the Great Sept, in front of huge crowds throwing stones at him and shattering his honor, was absolutely heartbreaking:

“[Ned] was thinner than Arya had ever seen him, his long face drawn with pain. ... He lifted his head and began to speak, his voice so thin and weak she could scarcely make him out.”

“A stone came sailing out of the crowd. Arya cried out as she saw her father hit. The gold cloaks kept him from falling. Blood ran down his face from a deep gash across his forehead.”

–A Game of Thrones (1996)

The monster Joffrey Baratheon commanded Ned’s execution right after this scene, even though Cersei and Sansa tried to stop it. Rest in peace, Ned.

King Robert once said of Ned:

“You never could lie for love nor honor, Ned Stark.”

–Robert Baratheon, A Game of Thrones (1996)

Sorry Bobby B, but you were a bit mistaken there - Ned did lie twice, both times for love. Once, when he was forced to confess treason to save Sansa’s life; the other time, when he made a promise to his sister, Lyanna Stark.

As we all know now, Jon Snow is not Ned’s bastard - but rather Aegon Targaryen, Sixth of His Name, son of Lyanna and Rhaegar Targaryen (and rightful heir to the Iron Throne). After Rhaegar died during Robert’s Rebellion, Lyanna gave birth to a son, but as she lay dying on her birthing bed, she made Ned promise to keep her son safe. Ned kept his promise to his grave, out of love for both Lyanna and Jon. He knew that Robert would kill Jon if he discovered his identity, and by raising Jon as his bastard, not only was he taking a huge risk (hiding a Targaryen heir from the king would be considered treason), but he was also sacrificing (part of) his honor. He was willing to do all this to stay true to his word - not even Catelyn or Jon himself discovered his identity until Season Seven of the show. It was in its own sense, honorable. (And Jon Snow became the dragon raised by wolves.)

Alas, even with his undeniable honor and nobility, Ned Stark was not a good player of the game of thrones. His greatest mistake, I think, was believing that the others were just as moral and honorable as him. For one thing, Joffrey wasn’t - he ordered Ned’s execution and ignited the War of the Five Kings. Ned’s other mistakes include trusting Littlefinger, taking Sansa and Arya to King’s Landing, confronting Cersei about the incest, not siding with Renly’s plan, and more - but just as Stannis said to Jon,

“Your father was an honorable man.”

–Stannis Baratheon to Jon Snow, “The Children” (2014)

Rest In Peace, Lord Eddard Stark.

As a fan of both A Song of Ice and Fire and Game of Thrones, I wanted to pay tribute to the honorable Ned Stark in this essay. I hope you like it!