Fahrenheit 451, Reading Changes Who You Are | Teen Ink

Fahrenheit 451, Reading Changes Who You Are

June 3, 2024
By bella-yegyan BRONZE, Van Nuys, California
bella-yegyan BRONZE, Van Nuys, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

     As they say, knowledge is power. In a community like the one in Fahrenheit 451, the access to knowledge would completely disrupt the government’s attempts at having total control over everything. Reading has shaped society into what it is today. People sometimes take reading for granted because they fail to realize all the new opportunities it grants and how it allows you to grow as a person. If we couldn’t read, we wouldn’t be able to learn or improve. As time passes, the idea of reading will become more distant, and we’ll probably slowly inch towards using only technology. One of the most significant values in Fahrenheit 451 was faith. They were constantly faced with challenges that they needed faith to overcome. Overall, the knowledge we can obtain from books opens so many doors to new experiences and changing mindsets.


     Reading shapes us into who we are. Without it, we’d have no grasp of the world around us. On Page 68, Faber wisely says, “The magic is only in what books say, how they stitched the patches of the universe together into one garment for us.” The world is practically held together by books, so not having access to them could cause problems. The community in Fahrenheit 451 was entirely controlled. People were unaware of the fact that they were being stripped of their freedom. They were all puppets to the government, so having access to books and actual knowledge would disrupt their intentions of total authority over everything. Books give us a slightly more clear view of the things we don’t understand in life and let us learn from the mistakes of others. They have impactful morals and are a much bigger influence than we think.

     Reading will grow to become a less desirable thing and we'll gradually start to move away from it altogether.  Page 49 of the text states, “Technology, mass exploitation, and minority pressure carried the trick, thank God.” This quote gives an example of how much effect technology truly has. Technology, along with other things, keeps our world going. Though it has its benefits, there’s a much bigger picture we need to look at. We now rely on technology so much that we can’t imagine a world without it. This problem will only become bigger and bigger as time goes on. Though this book is fictional, it's slowly becoming a reality. We’ll eventually completely convert to using only technology. No one knows what the future holds, but by the looks of it, things aren’t turning out so well.


     When it seems like you’re in an impossible situation, you’re only hope is hope itself. “I'll hold onto the world tight some day. I've got one finger on it now; that's a beginning,” says Montag on page 127. You always have to start from somewhere. Even if you’re only taking baby steps, hard work eventually pays off. If you dedicate your life to achieving your goals, you’ll eventually succeed. Sometimes, all you need is a little push to get back up on your feet. You need to have some form of motivation to encourage yourself to not give up. You can usually get that encouragement by opening a book. Reading about other people’s experiences and how they were able to overcome their own challenges can help you make sense of your own. There is always a way. No matter the circumstances, there will always be a way to escape the deep hole you may have dug yourself into. Having a positive mindset leads you to a good life.


     Society, as it is today, is a result of reading. People often don’t acknowledge the importance of reading although it offers so many benefits and helps you develop, grow, and flourish. Books give you new perspectives on life and allow you to view things in ways you never would have before. Seeing things from the eyes and brain of a writer lets us learn so much. All of humanity needs to stop wasting precious time and actually do things that bring them joy and growth rather than rotting away at an electronic screen. Open a book, learn something new, and become a better person.


The author's comments:

I read Fahrenheit 451 in my 8th grade English class and really enjoyed it. There was a lot to learn from it and the book changed my perspectives.