Not forgetting for a moment, there will be! | Teen Ink

Not forgetting for a moment, there will be!

October 5, 2023
By IrisZhang1234 BRONZE, Beijing, Other
IrisZhang1234 BRONZE, Beijing, Other
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When the book, The Alchemist, was released in Brazil in 1988, it did not attract much attention and remained unknown for many years. Later, in 1992, an American tourist found this book and was deeply moved. So he contacted the author and was willing to help lead the way to the American publisher to release the English version of The Alchemist. Since then, the classics have been born, and the fate of the author Paul Coehlo has also been rewritten. A book that can completely change a person may only be published for several decades. The Alchemist is such a work. This book shows Shepherd's tenacity in pursuing his dreams, and also tells us that only when we are truly ourselves can we reap real happiness. Being yourself is the most important thing for everyone.

This book tells the story of a shepherd boy who crossed the Mediterranean Sea from Andalusia, Spain, across the Sahara Desert in North Africa and went to Egypt to look for treasure near the pyramids. On the way, he was robbed three times and got charity from a kind-hearted man. He helped the crystal shop owner run the shop to earn the first pot of gold. Then he set out to the desert with the British and walked through the endless desert. He met his beloved Fatima among the tribes in the oasis. On the way to meet the alchemist, he wanted to give up his dream several times and spend the rest of his life with his beloved. Finally, he listened to his heart, set out in full, and arrived at the treasure hunting place, But he was told that the treasure was actually in the castle he dreamed of in Spain, where his dream began. He wasted his time and went back to the original point, but he also went through all kinds of people and lives and found true love because he insisted on his dream.

There are always various obstacles on the way to pursuing dreams, just like in an oasis, a boy falls in love with a girl, just like everything is doomed. There is a lot of reluctance, the boy doesn't want to leave here, leave his beloved woman to find the treasure, and he is afraid of losing everything he has now. If the boy stayed and did not continue to pursue the treasure, he would not be able to complete his destiny. He must do the right thing at the right time. Once he missed it, it would be too late to do it again. True love does not prevent your partner from pursuing destiny. Love does not bind you or your partner. Love is free, sweet, and the language of the world. There is only one thing that makes dreams impossible, and that is fear of failure.

There are four people who help the shepherd a lot, the first is that the king guided the shepherd to pursue his own destiny and gave him Ulin and Tuming. Wulin and Tuming may not have any so-called magic, but it is because the king said so that the shepherd is firm and has more courage to pursue his dreams, and is not afraid of failure. He is the key role of the shepherd in the pursuit of dreams.

The second is the owner of the crystal store. When the shepherd gave half of his sheep to the old king, he didn't have enough money to support himself to pursue his dream. It was because of the appearance of the crystal shop owner that the shepherd was saved. He gave the shepherd a refuge. At the same time, when the shepherd began to hesitate to pursue his dream, considering that working in the crystal store is also a good future, the crystal store owner told him that not everyone treats dreams with a chasing attitude, which made the shepherd more determined when hesitating.

The third is Fatima, the daughter of the desert. Her beauty made the shepherd hesitate to pursue his dream again, but Fatima always told the shepherd that he would wait for him and hoped that the shepherd could find the treasure in his dream. When the shepherd's heart was shaken, it gave him firm recognition and expectation, and let him embark on his own journey again.

The fourth is the mysterious alchemist. When the shepherd met Fatima falling in love and had the idea of giving up, the alchemist calmly and clearly advised the shepherd to let him know that true love would not hinder a person's pursuit of fate. Alchemists have repeatedly taught shepherds to shine on them with the light of wisdom to sublimate their spiritual realm. He was a great help for the shepherd to finally find the treasure. That's why the book is called The Alchemist.

From the specific plot in this book, the King of Salem gives the shepherd an ideal world with romantic color, a beautiful ideal future, a hope like Polaris, and a hope for the shepherd to struggle out of the flock. The swindlers and crystal merchants let the shepherds change their view of the world, fall from the ideal cloud to the real earth, and let the shepherds understand their inner desire. Fatima represents the love that fetters the dreamer. The alchemist looks at the shepherd from the perspective of God. I think he is the embodiment of "the same hand" in the text, guiding the shepherd to destiny finally.

The story of finding treasure is very short, but the message conveyed by it makes people feel calm most of the time, but after reading it, they can't be calm for a long time. This is a pure idealistic statement, which conveys the beautiful results and truth like a fairy tale. Due to space limitations, every foreshadowing was quickly verified, and every suffering was quickly rewarded. The reason why it has the power to heal people's hearts, I think, is that it conveys such a value: whatever you really desire will be echoed, also, each of us is different. Each of us has their own characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses. They are not good or bad. It is meaningless to compare with others. We should not pay special attention to the opinions of others but should use our own advantages to do what only we can do and create our own value, which is the most important.


The author's comments:

This is a book review about The Alchemist.