The importance of thinking and emotions- Fahrenheit 451 book review | Teen Ink

The importance of thinking and emotions- Fahrenheit 451 book review

July 10, 2023
By Sumyee_ SILVER, Beijing, Other
Sumyee_ SILVER, Beijing, Other
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Eureka!"


In the world of Fahrenheit 451 created by Ray Bradbury, the possession of this book is illegal. In that future world, books are prohibited, and there are firefighters to set any house with books on fire. Guy Montag, the main character of this book, is one of the firefighters. He never questioned the “righteousness” of burning the books until he met a teen girl called Clairesse, who proposes questions for him to think about and later gets killed in a car accident. His concerns about burning the books finally convert into his actions when, during his mission, an old woman chose to die with her books. Montag then meets with an old literature professor Faber and starts to protect the books himself. After he is discovered by his captain Beatty, he chooses to kill Beatty. He successfully escapes from the manhunt from the police, meets a group of people fond of books as well, and joins them to rebuild his city after it is destroyed by war.
 
What strikes me the most about this book is the reason it gives for why books should be banned: books will raise unnecessary negative feelings in people, such as sadness, anger, and agony. It is true. When reading books, after immersing in the story, we may find our feelings easily provoked. However, it is the reason that books should be banned?
 
 To me, in this book, the act of banning the books symbolizes the government trying to control people’s feelings--to turn them into robots, instead of people with independent thinking. People without any emotions are those who can easily buy into what the outside instill in them. Thus, the less people read, the more obedient they are when facing the authorities.
 
There is another stunning detail in the story that gives me goosebumps as I read. After the Hound, the tool used to trace Montag after he committed a crime, loses track of Montag, it randomly chooses an innocent person on the street and kills him in front of the camera, just to maintain the authority of the governors in front of the people. This is a ridiculous thing to happen--but it may lie in the world around us, secretly.
 
In short, in addition to its intriguing story, the most charming part of this book to me is how it reveals the dark side of our world in such an alarming way.


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.