Life Of Pi Book Review | Teen Ink

Life Of Pi Book Review

The book, Life of Pi, by Yann Martel, was a great and unique novel. When I first picked up the book, I was intimidated by the number of big words that I didn’t know the meaning of, as well as the 100 chapters, some which are only just a paragraph long. 

The story follows Pi who not only has to deal with a change in his religion, but also has to survive in the middle of the Pacific ocean on a lifeboat with a tiger named Richard Parker. I thought the novel was really good at its storytelling and detailing what it was like on the lifeboat. (For example when Pi started losing his mind and started talking to Richard Parker.)

What makes this book unique is that the main setting and events happen where nobody wants to find themselves without food and water, on a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean. While reading this, I even felt anxious and intimidated by the small lifeboat Pi and Richard Parker were on in the ocean. And I could feel the anxiety Pi was facing in the book. So it was very cool how this book made me feel something while reading.

A couple things I didn’t like about the book was the amount of chapters. There are 100 chapters in the book  and it's 300 pages long. I felt it was unnecessary, especially because most of them are only a paragraph long. I felt like what the author, Yann Martel, could’ve done was combine the chapters so it didn’t feel mashed together and bloated. Another thing is that the beginning was a little slow paced.

Overall, I think the book is really good. If you like survival novels then I think you would really like this book.