Flipped Book Review | Teen Ink

Flipped Book Review

By CameronSweeny BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
CameronSweeny BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

Flipped is a tale of tough romance, with lovable characters and a suspenseful plot. Flipped, by Wendelin Van Draanen, is a realistic fiction book set in the present day about two protagonists; one is a girl named Juli Baker and the other is a boy named Bryce Loski. Bryce and his family moved into a small little neighborhood with Juli Baker across the street. The first day Juli saw Bryce she fell in love, however Bryce and his family disliked Juli from day one. Juli did everything she could to get Bryce to notice her, while Bryce did everything to get Juli away. It wasn’t until Bryce started to talk to his grandfather a bit more that he “flipped”.

Flipped in my opinion is a great book. One thing that makes Flipped so much different from other realistic fiction books is that you see through Juli’s and Bryce’s perspectives. This adds an interesting dynamic to the book because when Juli and Bryce interact, Juli remembers it one way and Bryce remembers it another way. You also just want to keep picking up the book wondering what will happen next between the characters. What conflict will Bryce and Juli get into next? Another thing Van Draanen did well was make everything seem realistic, nothing seemed forced, it all seemed to happen naturally like real life.  I would personally recommend this book to people who are 12-16 years old. If you are a person who is looking for a book with a tough romance, then Flipped is the book for you.