Flipped: a Book Review | Teen Ink

Flipped: a Book Review

The book Flipped, by Wendelin Van Draanen, is a story about coming of age, in a more simpler word, growth. The story takes place from 2nd grade to 8th grade, with the main characters, Bryce Loski, and Julianna Baker. When Bryce moved across the street from Juli, she went wild, until Bryce in 8th grade, messed up big time, “everything Flipped.” Over the years, Bryce and Juli didn’t have too much interaction, but still played a big part in each others lives. But what brought light into their eyes about one another, all started with some eggs.  

I personally really enjoy this book, and whenever I would start reading it, I would just get lost in that world of reading. One of the many reasons why I loved this book was watching the characters grow. A truly good book, with good characters, has to develop in some way shape or form. I can say without any hesitation, that every character developed, whether that's good or bad. Another reason why I deeply enjoyed this book is because every chapter would switch from Bryces to Juli’s point-of-view. The reason I really like this is because, it makes both the characters the protagonist and the antagonist, in Juli’s point-of-view, something very different, but absolutely brilliant, is how in Bryce’s point-of-view, he’s the antagonist. I reason he’s the antagonist because he's the one causing all the problems. And usually, from someone's first person point of view, they’re the protagonist. So, my recommendation is give this book a try, it’s definitely worth your time.