Flipped Book Review | Teen Ink

Flipped Book Review

By kayce-mcallister BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
kayce-mcallister BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

The realistic fiction book, Flipped, by Wendelin Van Draanen, is about friendship and coming-of-age with two kids: Julianna Baker and Bryce Loski. When Julianna moved to Bryce’s neighborhood in second grade, she thought he was the most perfect boy in the world. Bryce never really felt the same way, and he thought she was annoying all the way until eighth grade. You will learn about what happens to Juli’s favorite tree, and how Bryce reacts to Juli’s chicken eggs. But when the Loski invited the Baker over for dinner, Juli heard Bryce say something that “flipped” the story. 

Flipped has happy, sad, and silly moments, but what Van Draanen did well (and my favorite part) was the last 40 pages. The start and middle of the book were a bit boring, but towards the end around the climax, the story got better and made me want to read it more to see the change in the story and the development of the characters. If you like books that are realistic fiction I would say give Flipped a try but just know that it will take time to see a major change in characters. But when it happens you will know.