Fragile Bones - Harrison & Anna | Teen Ink

Fragile Bones - Harrison & Anna

July 27, 2022
By krishnak BRONZE, Brampton, Ontario
krishnak BRONZE, Brampton, Ontario
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

"Fragile Bones: Harrison & Anna" is one of the 4 novels apart of the One-2-One series by Lorna Schultz Nicholson. Not many books are written for the audience of teenagers in a high school setting, however, this book is entitled to teenagers specifically, who wish to explore the lives of two members of the Best Buddies program at a Secondary School. Fragile Bones explores the lives of Harrison and Anna, Harrison being the individual with the condition Asperger's/autism, and Anna being the member of the club who voluntarily aids Harrison for the remaining school year throughout many different clubs events and the school year. 

The book constantly changes perspectives, rotating between Harrison and Anna, revealing each character's thoughts and opinions at a certain moment and throughout the course of the book. The beginning of the book explores Harrison's introduction to the Best Buddies Program as well as Anna's beginning as a member of the club. She is paired with Harrison and begins to understand how to ensure Harrison keeps his composure at all times, avoiding anything that could set him off into a meltdown. Harrison on the other hand begins to learn about interacting with others and putting aside deep fears within him including using public washrooms, and germs and bacteria. They both eventually endure a catastrophic event near the end of the book which nearly led to Harrison being at a high risk of danger, again due to his deepest fears. 

I enjoyed each moment of the book, although several moments of Harrison reciting the human bones due to his condition become repetitive. Considering the condition he has, it's understandable for the author to use the meltdowns as a way of demonstrating the thought process of an individual with Asperger's/autism. In a way, it brings life to the story and takes the spotlight away from Anna who is leading the perfect teenage life and is pursuing a career in medicine, thus including her involvement in the best buddies program on her med school application. Yet throughout the story she begins to develop a sense of understanding of Harrison's life and how this program may be more than just a way of improving her chances towards med school and a real opportunity to help Harrison who has been alone and secluded from society his entire life. 

This book appeals to teenagers, particularly those on the brink of entering high school and those who have just begun. The story holds the complete experience while showing the tough situations each character endures due to their decisions, helping the reader to gain valuable insight into life in high school. 

Fragile Bones is an entertaining story of life in the eyes of teenagers and how they both grow as individuals together. This story is probably the most memorable book I've ever read. I'd give it 5 out of 5 stars.  


The author's comments: