The Wolf of Wallstreet Review | Teen Ink

The Wolf of Wallstreet Review

The Wolf of Wall Street. A vulgar, dirty, raunchy step into Jordan Belfort’s life as a stockbroker and its impact on those around him. I found it shocking this book did not attempt to hide anything, but that is also what drew me in.
Jordan is presented to be a new stock broker walking down Wall Street in the big city of New York with pockets so shallow that 100 bucks wouldn’t fit in them. His love for money and manipulation skills got him a job on Wall Street. Influenced by the stockbroker environment, Jordan has become familiar with all customs including: drugs, alcohol, sex—and more drugs.
The first part story highlights his first days on Wall Street, to his ugly divorce with his first wife, to being one of the FBI’s most investigated people. Every speed bump dug into and shown with great detail.
As the narration and the first person perspective creeped in and out, Jordan’s emotions were my emotions. Every detail he used drew me into a more clear scene of his life. “A moment later I felt my pocket growing warm...and then warmer...Oh, sweet Jesus! The morphine was burning a hole in my pocket! I needed to inject myself right this instant!”. The description of each scene with the drugs contortion of reality helps get the reasoning helped me understand what state he was in mentally.
The way this book was written keeps you reading and wanting to know more about the exotic person he is. It shows he is far from the average person. With parts where he and his office are playing giant darts with people who have dwarfism. Along with paying people to do unorthodox things such as shaving heads for the entertainment of the office.
The book all of a sudden hits a dead spot. The exciting feeling of not knowing what will come next dies. The full entertainment of this book is drained from the pages. Although it seems boring to read, it really puts the reader in the mood. During this period Jordan was sentenced to time in prison and then house arrest. The exciting life of drugs was demolished. The slow speed of the ending really emphasized the new steps that Jordan was trying to take to get better, cleaner, and sober.

Through all the morally wrong events in the book, there is a lesson presented. This book showcases how Jordan’s life was with no filters. The raw truth and all regrets in his time. It showed me that being an honest person and not taking shortcuts leads to a life of security and happiness. I recommend this book. It showcases a man’s path to becoming rich and everything he had to go through to get to the top.