Pet Sematary | Teen Ink

Pet Sematary

May 2, 2022
By MRVN GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
MRVN GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Pet Sematary  by Stephen King is by far his scariest book yet. He says even he thought it was too dark. So, When I first picked up the book I wasn’t hesitant because I loved the shining, doctor sleep, and It. There were parts in the book I could imagine like the gore parts of the book I could imagine or the emotional trauma the characters felt in the book. There is a lot of creepy/disturbing imagery but it was worth it because it would fit the mood of the book. It makes you feel like nothing is safe and there is something or someone behind it all. 


In the book, we have a family of 4 that moved into a farmhouse in Maine. The family consists of the father Louis, the mother Rachel, the daughter Ellie, the baby brother Gabe, and a pet named church. We also meet some of the neighbors. The most noticeable one is Jud, who Louis thinks of Jud as a father. The plot of the book is in this small town of Ludlow, Maine many of the elderly people talk about the fate of the pets due to busy streets by town.and the pet Sematary As its called in the woods. 


What I loved about the book was the imagery. The places that the characters are in can be pictured even if you have never seen them. I also loved the characters because they feel like real people. They do things that are realistic and have their strengths and weaknesses. For example Louis only misses stuff when it's gone and tries to avoid his feelings for other things. Rachel has a problem with the idea of death due to a tragic backstory and doesn't want people to go through the same emotions. Ellie is a little girl and doesn’t know what death is or why it happens. 


One last thing I love is that the King puts things that happened in his life like Smucky the name of His daughter's cat that unfortunately got killed by a car. And in the book one of the pet's names is Smucky with a grave marker saying he was obedient which is on Smuckys grave in a pet cemetery. Louis also says ”it wasn't obedient at all, of course; it was a cat, for heaven’s sake” which is the same thing King thought about the grave marker.


Yea sometimes it’s unrealistic but like in the book it's not played in the favor of the main characters. It's all dark magic and ancient beings, like in the book they talk about Indians and the creatures they believed to protect their lands. Nothing in the book is bad and even the parts I dislike in other books like things that are unrealistic yet have reasons, why they happen to like everything in IT, were due to Indians thinking Pennywise is a god and would offer a sacrifice. This is sort of similar to the book where Indian religion has a part to play in the book. What I mean by this is that Indian burial grounds and also a lot of blood magic are in this book which is something that can be believable and things are mind can believe.  


This is a great book; Probably after I finish the book I'll continue to read it. And I must agree this is by far one of King’s creepiest books yet. I would recommend this book to almost everyone as There are a few people who dislike gore and there is a lot of talking about death in this book, so for viewers who dislike or have a problem with this then no I would not recommend the book to them. But all in all, it's a great book and teaches that we may wish dead things would come back but in the end, it isn’t meant to be. but just like King says Sometimes Dead is Better.