The Mary Shelley Club by Goldy Moldavsky | Teen Ink

The Mary Shelley Club by Goldy Moldavsky MAG

April 3, 2022
By DewDrop27 GOLD, Charlton, Massachusetts
DewDrop27 GOLD, Charlton, Massachusetts
10 articles 2 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
“You fail only if you stop writing.” ~ Ray Bradbury


The Mary Shelley Club by Goldy Moldavsky is a thrilling tale that will surely send shivers down the reader’s spine. 

It is quite astonishing how beautifully written the novel is. Mystery, murder, and fear at every page. This book is recommended for all the horror, thriller, and mystery lovers out there. A five-star novel indeed. 

Adventure begins with the new girl, Rachel Chavez, a junior at a prestigious high school called Manchester Prep, where privileged kids can be privileged kids. Rachel had survived a traumatic incident one year earlier in her original home in Long Island. It caused her and her mom to move to Manhattan’s Upper East Side. As Rachel makes friends and enemies, she discovers a secret club called the Mary Shelley Club, named after the author of Frankenstein. The horror-loving members participate in a game called a Fear Test, where each member takes a turn finding a target and uses tropes from horror movies to make their target scream. Rachel has been invited to join, and accepts the invitation willingly. 

Unfortunately, Rachel’s dark, traumatic past decides to be a member in the Mary Shelley Club as well. Moldavsky will make the reader be on the edge of their seat at all times. It is a novel no human could put down. It leaves the reader  tossing and turning all night with the itch to continue reading it. Moldavsky’s writing will make the reader feel as if they were Rachel. She will make you feel the terror of being a survivor, the guilt and grief that follow death, being a new kid at school, the happiness of enemies being scared out of their minds, the feeling of having friends, and the anxiety at high school parties. It is all wrapped up in a beautiful, exciting package. The reader’s trust issues will be toyed with. To tie it in a pretty bow, Moldavsky’s ending will catch you off guard and wanting more. Don’t blink or you might miss something. You are never going to want to trust your gut instincts again.


The author's comments:

I hope this review persuades you to read this fantastic novel. I promise it is worth your time. It will leave you speechless! :)