Sea Prayer | Teen Ink

Sea Prayer

By Godala PLATINUM, Durgapur, Other
Godala PLATINUM, Durgapur, Other
36 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Sea prayer is a beautiful book, beautifully written by Khaled Hosseini, beautifully illustrated by Dan Williams. This book involves a father and son whose lives have been displaced from their home in Homs, Syria, and the father in this book understands that his son has no pleasant experience of life in Syria. He realises that his son has no memories of bustling old cities of Syria or beautiful mornings of Syria. He understands that his son only has memories of starvation, burials and sky-splitting bombs. At the end of this book father promises his son that nothing bad is going to happen but inside the promise is slaying him because he knows they may have to face the reality of drowning in the sea, and he understands that he is very powerless to protect his son from the vast indifferent sea.

Kirkus review stated that it is impossible to read this book without facing intense compassion for those Syrian refugees facing devastating conditions in Syria. Khaled Hosseini was himself an Afghan refugee and is very capable of understanding the emotions of thousands of Syrian refugees and millions of refugees all over the world. In an interview, Khaled Hosseini said that the inspiration for this book comes from the death Alan Kurdy due to boat capsize along with his mother and brother and whose photograph got widely circulated.

Syrian civil war was started in March 2011, killed thousands of refugees, and tore the nation apart, made more than six million people refugees and resulted in the displacement of more than five million people within Syria and more than twelve million people need humanitarian assistance, seventy percent of the Syrians are living in extreme poverty, and more than half of the affected people are children.

It is of no use to fight a war because it just kills the fellow human beings and shatters our happiness, I am just not talking about Syria but I am talking about all the nations which have waged wars, fought wars or planned to wage wars. Instead of putting all our money and effort into war, it is prudent to invest in the development. The very idea of bombing innocent children for political reasons nauseates me.