Lucy: A dog's journey | Teen Ink

Lucy: A dog's journey

By WolfGurl PLATINUM, Not A Real Place, Indiana
WolfGurl PLATINUM, Not A Real Place, Indiana

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened. –Anatole France.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. –Josh Billings

Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.- George Carlin

A nation that destroys its soils destroys itself. Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people. —Franklin D. Roosevelt

Never lose. Either win, or learn. - Me

Lucy: A story of friendship and courage as seen by a dog. 

I was a little dubious when I first saw this on Hoopla. The description seemed, to be honest, a little random and I couldn't see how the plot would fit together. And would it really be unique and unlike other dog books?

I'm happy to say, Yes! It is captivating, heartwarming, and truly an individual in its genre. As I was saying before, the plot has a lot in it but the author did a great job! It's the perfect length for a story like this. It's not too short and brief, so it gives you time to bond with the characters. In addition, the book doesn't last too long so it will grab your attention and not let go. Great for dog lovers and kids of all ages. 

However, I'm sure you want to know why I'm recommending this and what it's about, right?

In bold, you will find the description I've written for this book. Don't want spoilers? Skip the bold paragraphs and continue on the normal text.

Lucy is a pampered and well-loved young golden retriever, who lives in an idealistic cottage with her Man and the Cook. (Yes, she refers to them as Cook and Man). The Man is a bachelor, whose profession is writing, and the Cook is, well, the cook. That said, she's not vain. Rather, she's simply naive, not knowing much about the outside world. Despite that, she's brave, intelligent, and confident.

When her man gets good news from America (professional accomplishment), he's asked to leave his home and Lucy to journey there. 

While he's there, Lucy is lured out of her home and stolen. After waking up in a dirty, unkempt kennel, and beaten after approaching her captors, she begins to think about how to escape. 

Her fellow inmates — A vain but inwardly companionate Afghan, an emotional but well-learned little , two steady, brave, and loyal Dobermans, a brilliant and genius , and a street-wise rottweiler, acompany the gentle, kind-hearted, and intelligent Lucy on her mission.

And, through rain or storm, trial and error, they fight with everything they've got until they reach their goal.

Note: There's some shipping going on in this book, too! 

If you're interested in this book, but feel you may be a bit old for it, I suggest "Far from Burden Dell". It is a title from the same author. In fact, Lucy was based on it! "Far from Burden Dell" wasn't too popular, as Chris, the author, had made it for younger audiences. It didn't take off as the themes were a bit older. Lucy, the dog in this book, is named "Amy", but other than that the plot and characters are the same. I compared two different chapters. Ultimately, Lucy is more kid-friendly. "Far from Burden Dell" makes the exact same scenes a bit more tense and darker. In addition, the language is used differently. Far from burden dell has the words "Bloody", ect in the same scenes. These differences make it more teenage-friendly. If you are 9-12, you will LOVE "Lucy", this title. If you are 12+, you may enjoy "Far from Burden Dell" a bit more.

However, It depends on your personality. I am 13 and have a 9th or 10th-grade reading level (Classical edu./private schooling). If you appeal to heartwarming, gentle, forgiving, and courageous themes, no matter your age you will enjoy "Lucy" FAR better, and that's why I liked it better than "Far from Burden Dell".

If you like the plot of this story, but you appeal to mature themes such as danger & thrills, you may enjoy"Far from burden Dell" more.

That said, Lucy does have danger and adventurous plots. It just puts a "Brighter aspect lens" on. Meaning, for example, Lucy admires forgiveness more than bloody justice, as in Far from Burden Dell, her previous book.

Let me rephrase this just so it's clear.

Take Lucy and turn it into a horror story. You've got "Far from Burden dell".

If this book or "Far from burden Dell" sounds like something you'd like, please attempt to read it! Probably available for free at your library, and, if not, easily accessible on didital platforms such as Amazon, Kindle, and Goodreads. Please comment if you are interested in the book, have read it/are going to, and what you thought about it.

Afra ELITE said...
Afra ELITE, Kandy, Other

"A writer must never be short of ideas."
-Gabriel Agreste- (Fictional character- Miraculous)

@WolfGurl, can you remember in my first poem, you commented your birthday and said that we're so close as I was born on the 29th of December...I remembered that and that is why I wished...HBD again...😃😃😃

You can check your comment out here...
TeenInk.com/poetry/all/article/1143173/Marriage

on Dec. 27 2021 at 10:29 am

Never lose. Either win, or learn. - Me

@Afra

Thank you so much❤️❤️❤️ That really means a lot to me. But just out of curiosity how did you know it was my birthday? Is it on my page?

Afra ELITE said...
on Dec. 27 2021 at 5:59 am
Afra ELITE, Kandy, Other

@WolfGurl, I shall read this book...
And...Wait for it...

May all of your hopes, wishes and dreams come true on this very special day. Wishing you a wonderfully blissful year full of extreme fun, joy and prosperity. Happy Birthday WolfGurl!!!
🎂🍰🎉🎁🎈🕯🎊🥳