A Book We All Should Read: We Should All Be Feminists | Teen Ink

A Book We All Should Read: We Should All Be Feminists

July 19, 2021
By camilleiscamiii GOLD, Pittsfield, Massachusetts
camilleiscamiii GOLD, Pittsfield, Massachusetts
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Always"


"We Should All Be Feminists" is really an inspiring book for me, since for the first time I’ve truly been introduced to the word “feminism”.

Many people hold different attitudes toward this word. As the author mentions, some believe this word represents the hatred some women have toward men, akin to a kind of terrorism. But feminism is not like that. Indeed, this word does not even represent women or the lack of femininity. The author argues that men can become feminists, too, and uses the the dictionary definition of feminist, it represents a group of people who are fighting against the inequality and injustice happened among genders" to support this idea. Therefore, she argues, the most important element that this word contains is equality. In the fight for equality, there’s no reason why men couldn’t join this effort, since gaining equal rights should not be just women’s business. I also agree with what the author says in the book - people not only should educate girls, but also boys. They shouldn’t just teach girls how to cater to their husbands or sacrifice themselves to be the appendage of men, instead, we should teach boys how to respect. Women are humans too who should have enjoyed the same rights as men, and more importantly, without women living in this world, men are nothing. This idea really connects to the ideas that I learned in US History class. Compared to the women who lived hundreds of years before, nowadays, the working and living conditions of women have been much improved. Today, women can go to work (though they are still paid at lower rates compared to their male counterparts) and be well-educated in the colleges (though there's still more boys in the school in some countries). However, it’s a contribution made by women who have been fighting for centuries to pursue gender equality; the male seems to disappear during that process.

The idea that "there’s nothing wrong with gender equality" would be a pretty superficial conclusion people could make. While comparing women nowadays with men, we could easily find out that there are still problems waiting to be solved. Women, though equally as capable and intelligent, are paid lower. Still today, society pressures them to change  themselves and many are unable to have their own thoughts once they get married. It seems that society has become so accustomed to the idea that men should always take care of women, that women have subsequently been conditioned to believe that they should not have  ambitions. It is within this context that men are cherished for their masculinity while women are chased for their femininity. As the author mentions, when these ideas become normalized, it means that we are unconsciously accepting these ideas and they become assimilated into our everyday thoughts and behaviors. If all people over the world have been assimilated, then it would be too late for us to ever regain equality within genders.

Feminism shouldn’t just belong to feminists, women, or men. All human beings should understand this term and begin to do something to change the current situation. Gaining equality among genders isn’t just about the rights of women, but also the rights of every gender. If all people, both men and women, care about the issue of educating both boys and girls equally about gender, then our society can evolve towards progress. When that day comes, it will be the moment when our culture, our heritage, once again lights up the historical sky. 


The author's comments:

Feminism isn't only about gaining rights to women, it helps us to create a world with equality among genders. That's why we, both girls and boys, should all be feminists.