We Were Liars Review | Teen Ink

We Were Liars Review

By reviewsaregood BRONZE, Lethbridge, Alberta
reviewsaregood BRONZE, Lethbridge, Alberta
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

“Welcome to the beautiful Sinclair family.
No one is a criminal.
No one is an addict.
No one is a failure.”

This is how E. Lockhart starts the book We Were Liars. Now, tell me, don’t you want to keep reading? I know I did.

This book is centered around Cadence Sinclair Eastman, an eighteen-year-old girl who lives in Burlington, Vermont. It focuses on her and her family, the wealthy, the beautiful, and the perfect. Cady spent her summers in Beechwood Island with the rest of her family, her grandfather, aunts, and the three liars, Johnny, Mirren, and Gat, hence the title.

It mainly focuses on summer fifteen (when they were fifteen). What happened and why it happened, slowly uncovering the truth. The family is mistakenly seen as meticulously perfect, but as you keep reading you will see that they are far from it. Built on secrets and fear, that go unnoticed until she returns.

E. Lockhart uses strong and indescribable writing techniques that make you feel like you’re experiencing what the characters feel. Forgetting yourself and getting lost in the book is what happens to many people who have read it. An impressive 92% of Google users liked this book and it is rated a high 4.6 in audience rating. The book has won the Goodreads choice award and was listed as the ALA top ten best fiction for young adults in 2015. The book surpasses your expectations of what a good book is while taking you in for a roller coaster of emotions; so, buckle up. As much as I enjoyed this book, I can’t disregard the stories that appear in the book.

Throughout the book, you will find small, short stories about a king and his three beautiful daughters. They're meant to correlate to the story in a way, but they may be confusing to understand. I would strongly urge you to read this book two or three times because once you fully comprehend the story it holds much more meaning.

It underlines the struggles of family values and power. The characters are well brought up and relatable to some extent. The book is suited for teens and anyone above. It contains some explicit language, but not frequently. On the upside, the words aren’t overused to the point of not holding any meaning. The book includes a little bit of everything, giving all types of readers satisfaction. I would definitely recommend reading this book, every time I do, I uncover new details that I didn’t notice before. Happy reading everyone and I hope you have a great day!