He Walks with Dragons: Smoothly written and ingenious fantasy | Teen Ink

He Walks with Dragons: Smoothly written and ingenious fantasy

March 20, 2019
By Anonymous

I couldn't help but start to read Stanley S. Thornton's He Walks with Dragons. As a fan of dragons myself, I suppose this should have not come as a surprise to me. While He Walks with Dragons is not an adaptation of any specific fantasy novel or fairy tale, it builds on the established world already created by the legends existing across the world. Thornton has a delightful way of turning fantasy tropes on their heads and this story is no exception. This is a book for young adult fantasy fans, though fans of Robin McKinley, Tamora Pierce, or Lloyd Alexander’s Chronicles of Prydain might particularly enjoy this story. 

He Walks with Dragons is the first book in Stanley Thornton's saga, which primarily deals with the interactions among the distinct groups in this legend. While the Book of Knowledge is mentioned, this book really sets up the conflict between Draig's life, the role dragons played, setting the stage for what will follow in the other three books. At about 200 pages each, these books are a fun and a fairly quick read. Thornton somehow manages to convince his readers to take the world he has created seriously while they are laughing at it. He seems to have a knack for writing in a humorous style that also conveys, when necessary, gravity.

He Walks with Dragons is a fun and fast paced fantasy romp that does not get old with time. This book, as I said earlier, sets the stage for the other books in the series while still managing to stand on its own. It discusses dragon politics and the way various societies interact, but it also deals with the struggle of being yourself and learning that, at the end of the day, we all have different strengths, and that’s okay.


The author's comments:

With much help from Marvin "Knife" Sotelo