The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald | Teen Ink

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

By chuckw_6 SILVER, Salisbury, Connecticut
chuckw_6 SILVER, Salisbury, Connecticut

In the year of 1925, F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote the book The Great Gatsby. This piece of literature depicts the story of a cast of characters in the summer of 1922 in the East Egg and West Egg of Long Island and focuses on the themes of the American Dream and Prohibition. In the book, the titular character Jay Gatsby falls in love with Daisy Buchanan, who is the wife of Tom Buchanan. Although Tom is portrayed negatively in the book, Daisy still chooses to stay with him for the future, even though it is obvious to observers that Gatsby is the man who Daisy truly loves. This conclusion is a result of Daisy’s vanity, her and Tom’s marriage, as well as their immorality that ties them together. 

Daisy’s vanity is a major reason that she and Tom stay together at the end of the story. According to Fitzgerald, Tom lives in the “East Egg,” where people there have “old money.” Old money means that they get their wealth and social status inherited from their family members. Gatsby, on the other hand, lives at the “West Egg,” where all “new money” is gathered at. “New money” comes from the diligent work of one’s own hands. When choosing her suitors, Daisy once said several years ago in Louisville that she does not “marry poor boys.” The impression that Daisy gives to the reader is that she is marrying money, instead of to another man. The word “poor” means not only a shortage of money, but also the social status that her future husband stands in. This is where Gatsby becomes less formidable when he is compared to Tom and is why the lavish parties he throws over the summer lessens Daisy’s impression of him. Even though holding parties certifies him as a rich person, Gatsby is really lowering his status, since all the problem-makers and parasites from society are present at his parties: “Most of the remaining women were now having fights with men said to be their husbands.” Drunk and uncivilized, these aching people are not able to help Gatsby retrieve Daisy’s heart. Most importantly, his money comes from an illegitimate source—bootlegging. During the year of 1922, it was the time of the Prohibition, when alcohol was illegal. By selling this contraband underground, Gatsby is conducting criminal activities, which undoubtedly lowers his standing when Daisy discovers his activities. Thus, Daisy chooses Tom over Gatsby because not only will marrying Gatsby be a step down for Daisy socially, but she will also find Gatsby’s money disgusting. 

The marriage between Tom and Daisy also serves as a responsible reason to prevent them from separating at the end of the story. Tom and Daisy’s daughter is an evidence that at a different point in time, they loved each other. Throughout the entire story, Tom shows Daisy love and respect, even when Tom is spending time with the “fifth guest” Myrtle Wilson, his lover outside the family. Tom injures Myrtle since she was repeating Daisy’s name in a satirical and disrespectful way: “There were bloody towels upon the bathroom floor, and women’s voices scolding, and high over the confusion a long broken wail of pain.” Breaking Myrtle’s nose with a swing of slap delineates the fact that Tom tries to defend the basic dignity of his wife. This action shows that Tom is still considerate of Daisy, even when he is carrying an affair outside of the family. Daisy also admits the truth that she loves Tom when Gatsby, Daisy, and Tom are together talking about their sophisticated relationships. “‘Even alone I can’t say I never loved Tom,’ she admitted in a pitiful voice. ‘It wouldn’t be true.’” Even when facing her true love Gatsby, Daisy refuses to acknowledge that she has never loved Tom. She also is annoyed by Gatsby that he tries adamantly to obtain her and destroy Tom. Hence, it is apparent that the marriage bond between Daisy and Tom prevents the separation of this couple.

The strongest bond between both Tom and Daisy is their immorality underneath their skin. Even though it is not described blatantly in the text, there is still evidence that proves both of them are bad people. Throughout the book, Tom is depicted as a negative figure, who is cocky and self-centered. He uses his mighty muscles, not to help others who are in need, but to bully others. “Turning me [Nick] with one arm,” Tom tries to show his superiority—that he is bigger and more successful—to Nick Carraway, the narrator of the book, in their first meeting after a long time of separation since college. Tom is also incredibly racist to people of color. As he is talking about a book, he blurts, “It’s up to us, who are the dominant race, to watch out or these other races will have control of thing.” This shows that Tom has neither signs of a growth mindset nor acceptance of the world. The negative aspects of his personality is matched by Daisy’s own. Daisy shows her true, awful side after a meeting with the other characters in New York about their relationship aforementioned in the second paragraph. As Daisy drives Gatsby back to Long Island afterward, they pass by the Wilson’s. There, Myrtle breaks out from the house and tries to stop the car. Daisy, however, runs her over, killing her. Instead of stopping to help Myrtle, who is laid out on the ground, Daisy keeps driving and leaves nothing but dust behind the wheels. Thinking it was Gatsby who drove the car, Tom later criticizes Daisy’s hit-and-run actions: “‘The God Damn coward!’ he whimpered. “He didn’t even stop his car.’” Yet, Tom is not any better than Daisy. Instead of telling the truth to Myrtle’s husband, Tom informs George Wilson that it was Gatsby who killed George’s wife and provides George the address where Gatsby lives at. This singular, malevolent action eventually results in Gatsby’s death. Thus, both Tom and Daisy are seen as characters with questionable morals, and it is this common trait of immorality that keeps them together. 

In The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald vividly describes the love triangle between Gatsby, Daisy, and Tom that happens in the summer of 1922. Yet, interspersed throughout the stories of Gatsby, Carraway, Daisy, and Tom, there are many hints of why, although surprising, it is understandable that Tom and Daisy end up staying with each other, even though Gatsby is Daisy’s true love. Daisy’s relentless thirst for wealth and social class as well as her marriage with Tom that stops her from leaving with Gatsby. Most importantly, the maliciousness in Tom and Daisy’s minds subtly connect them to each other even after Gatsby’s death. 

Book Review - The Great Gatsby surrounds the topic of why Daisy stays with Tom at the end of the story instead of Gatsby.